Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Escape character '\' on an string that is passed to QProcess.start()

• Hello all,

I am trying to use QProcess.start() and then sed command to replace a word on a file in Linux system.
    The string of the command needs to have escape character on it '\' . But this is special character in C, so it doesn't recognize it, it just ignores it.
    I have tried to use double '\' but it doesn't work either - this normally works in any C/C++ application but not in Qt.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

• Moderators

@Kate_Software
    how exactly did you use it?

• If you can post some code, that would help.

Escaping strings for QProcess can be tricky, which is why QProcess::setArguments() or similar from a QStringList is useful. Sometimes (if you need pipes, semi-colons, or &&, ||) you may want to use "bash -c" as a first command, and the rest as a single escaped command, but seeing your code may answer that.

• Hi both,
    Thanks for answering. The code is as follows: (See the double escape)
    QProcess myprocess;
    myprocess.setArguments(QStringList() << QStringLiteral("-i") << QStringLiteral("1 s/(OFF\\|FATAL\\|ERROR\\|WARN\\|INFO\\|DEBUG\\|TRACE\\|ALL\\)/ERROR/") << QStringLiteral("/opt/himalayas/eclipse.log.config"));

• @Kate_Software said in Escape character '\' on an string that is passed to QProcess.start():

Hi both,
    Thanks for answering. The code is as follows: (See the double escape)
    QProcess myprocess;
    myprocess.setArguments(QStringList() << QStringLiteral("-i") << QStringLiteral("1 s/(OFF\\|FATAL\\|ERROR\\|WARN\\|INFO\\|DEBUG\\|TRACE\\|ALL\\)/ERROR/") << QStringLiteral("/opt/himalayas/eclipse.log.config"));

I forgot to add this line -> myprocess.setProgram("sed");
    So the final code is like:

QProcess myprocess;
    myprocess.setProgram("sed");
    myprocess.setArguments(QStringList() << QStringLiteral("-i") << QStringLiteral("1 s/(OFF\\|FATAL\\|ERROR\\|WARN\\|INFO\\|DEBUG\\|TRACE\\|ALL\\)/ERROR/") << QStringLiteral("/opt/project/app.log.config"));

• Moderators

@Kate_Software
    shouldn't the following already be sufficient?

myprocess.setArguments(QStringList() << QStringLiteral("-i") /* whats 
     with the "1" here? */ << QStringLiteral("'s/(OFF|FATAL|ERROR|WARN|INFO|DEBUG|TRACE|ALL)/ERROR/'") << QStringLiteral("/opt/project/app.log.config")); // note the single quotes

• @raven-worx

/* whats with the "1" here? */

sed '1 s/foo/bar/': does the substitution only on line #1 :)

@Kate_Software
    It's difficult to know what you actually want that line to be. @raven-worx may be right, and you don't want any backslashes, or maybe you genuinely want to search for e.g OFF\. Why don't you start by telling us whatever the actual command is when you type it into bash or whatever, and we'll take it from there?