Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Connect MessageBox buttonClicked() signal does not work

• Hi

In MyClass, i have a messageBox pointer member variable and in MyClass constructor:

msgBox = new QMessageBox(QMessageBox::Information, tr("Request"),
                                            "Waiting ...", QMessageBox::Cancel, this);

when it is needed to open the message box:

msgBox->open(this, SLOT(waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton*))); // connect MessageBox::buttonClicked() to slot

I need the control to return immediately back to the main loop so I did not use exec(), etc. It works just fine. When I clicked the Cancel button, the message box closed and the following slot was called. No problem.

void MyClass::waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton* buttonClicked) {
        qDebug() << "I'm waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton*)";
    }

Okay now I want to manually connect the slot as I don't want every time the message box is opened it need to connect the signal again like in open(). So I use show() instead and try to connect to the signal myself. So in MyClass constructor:

msgBox = new QMessageBox(QMessageBox::Information, tr("Request"),
                                            "Waiting ...", QMessageBox::Cancel, this);
    connect(msgBox, SIGNAL(buttonClicked(QAbstractButton *button)), this, SLOT(waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton *button)));
    msgBox->setModal(true);

When the message box is needed, I just show() the message box:

msgBox->show();

Unfortunately, this way does not work. When I clicked the Cancel button, the message box closed but the slot was not called.

Anyone can help me?

• Moderators

@dalishi said in Connect MessageBox buttonClicked() signal does not work:

connect(msgBox, SIGNAL(buttonClicked(QAbstractButton *button)), this, SLOT(waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton *button)));

That's not a valid connect syntax, probably the problem.

• Qt Champions 2019

@dalishi Please check the application output - there is probably a warning saying that the connect() did not work.

• @J.Hilk Thanks. The following works without parameter names.

connect(msgBox, SIGNAL(buttonClicked(QAbstractButton *)), this, SLOT(waitReplyCancelled(QAbstractButton *)));

• @jsulm Hi Thanks. I must be fool to ignore that warning....