Things you hear about computing... Please share your experiences...

• We were discussing things uninformed users say about computers that are sad, humorous, and scary. Note, that these can be completely valid from a user's experiences, but technically wrong. We remembered a couple of really good ones:

• Computers slow down after a while and you have to get a new one.

• 64 bit programs are basically twice as fast as 32 bit programs.

• Qt Champions 2017

My favourite is: "The computer's wrong" (in regards to computation)

In all fairness your first point, has some basis in fact.
    As one N. Wirth stated: 'Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.'

• @kshegunov said in Things you hear about computing... Please share your experiences...:

In all fairness your first point, has some basis in fact.

It was back in the Win95 days and the registry would get bigger and bigger and slow down the computer over time. Yes, software is does play a huge role here. I do like it though that when I upgrade my computer I can turn up the settings on games and have a nicer visual experience with the same game.

• @kshegunov

As one N. Wirth stated: 'Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.'

It's pathetic. When I paid £49 for a ZX-81, or even £200-odd for a BBC micro, you switched the switch on and the OS/command prompt was there within 1 second. Now? Buy another new machine. and it's still ridiculous. Also, similar with a Sky satellite TV box. No excuses. I'd far rather go back to the old days. Oh, also, a "mouse driver" (when they arrived) used to fit inside like a couple of hundred bytes.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.