Planned maintenance has been done but it did not solve the problem. So work will continue on this and a new time for trying updates will be announced asap.

Get the last two characters written in a QTextEdit

• I want to get the last two characters written in a QTextEdit. I tried the following

void MainWindow::onTextChanged() {

QTextCursor c = textEdit->textCursor();
        c.setPosition(textEdit->cursor().pos().x());
        c.setPosition(textEdit->cursor().pos().x() - 2, QTextCursor::KeepAnchor);
        textEdit->setTextCursor(c);

qDebug() << textEdit->textCursor().selectedText();
    }

Which partially works since I get the last two characters of the text but I also highlight them and rewrite them. I want it to be impossible for the user to see or know that the last two characters were retrieved and I also want to continue to write without overwriting the last two characters in my text!

• Qt Champions 2018

@legitnameyo

Would it alread help to remove textEdit->setTextCursor(c); and instead use qDebug() << c.selectedText(); ?

• Depending on how many characters I've got in my QTextEdit I get one of these two messages

QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '458' out of range
    QTextCursor::setPosition: Position '460' out of range

or if there is quite little text

""
    ""
    ""

Removing "textEdit->setTextCursor(c);" fixed the issue of the QTextEdit highlighting and removing text but makes the printing of the last two characters impossible, AKA it gives one of the two errors I mentioned above.

• Qt Champions 2018

Edit: Wrong code, see below

QTextCursor cur = textEdit->textCursor();
    newCur.movePosition(QTextCursor::PreviousCharacter,QTextCursor::KeepAnchor,2);
    newCur.movePosition(QTextCursor::PreviousCharacter,QTextCursor::MoveAnchor,2);

• @VRonin I tried

cur.movePosition(QTextCursor::PreviousCharacter,QTextCursor::KeepAnchor,2);
        cur.movePosition(QTextCursor::PreviousCharacter,QTextCursor::MoveAnchor,2);

but it gave me

""
    ""
    ""
    ""
    ""

in the console, not the last two characters... It did solve the "out of range" issue though!

• Qt Champions 2018

sorry, sloppy coding, the correct is below:

qDebug() << cur.selectedText();

• @VRonin it worked! thanks!

void MainWindow::onTextChanged() {
        qDebug() << cur.selectedText();
    }

• Moderators

@legitnameyo

QString str = textEdit->toPlainText();
    QString targetChars = str.mid(textEdit->textCursor().columnNumber() -2 ,2);
    qDebug() <<targetChars;