Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Qt5.11.3 build fails for QtWebEngine on MSVC 2017 64bit

• Building Qt5.11.3 from sources under MSVC 2017 64bit looks ok except for QtWebEngine

NMAKE: fatal error U1073 do not know how to make QtWebEngineCore.stamp

Building is done through x64 Native Tools Command Prompt for MSVS 2017 using a bat file with general configure and jom

configure -confirm-license -release -nomake examples -nomake tests -openssl -opensource -platform win32-msvc2017 -prefix C:\Qt\5.11.3-x64 -I C:\openssl\1.1.1b\include -L C:\openssl\1.1.1b\lib

Any help is appreciated
    Chromium? Ninja? What to check?

• I returned to the problem, called qmake directly for qtwebengine and got the following:

[1/1] Regenerating ninja files
    [1/1] Regenerating ninja files
    ninja: error: manifest 'build.ninja' still dirty after 100 tries

Command '[ 'C:/temp/qt-build/build_qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/ninja/ninja.exe', '-C', 'C:\\temp\\qt-build\\build_qtwebengine\\src\\3rdparty\\chromium\\tools\\gn\\out\\Release',  '-w', 'dupbuilder=err', 'gn']' returned non-zero exit status 1
    Building gn manually in a temporary directory  for bootstrapping...
    Building gn using itself to out\Release...
    Project ERROR: GN build error!
    jom: C:\temp\qt-build\build_qtwebengine\src\buildtools\Makefile [sub-gn-pro-make_first] Error 3
    jom: C:\temp\qt-build\build_qtwebengine\src\Makefile [sub-buildtools-make_first] Error 2
    jom: C:\temp\qt-build\build_qtwebengine\Makefile [sub-src-make_first] Error 2

Does it tell more now?

• going into qtwebengine directory and calling jom results on ninja stopping build afer some step

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@nest_kds said in Qt5.11.3 build fails for QtWebEngine on MSVC 2017 64bit:

ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed

What's before this line (there should be actual error)?

• Nothing about error

[xxxx/NNNN]
    including..
    including...

• Now, I'm more than sure that this is all about not enough memory on my HDD.
    Is there an official requirement for free disk space needed for building QtWebEngine that I missed somewhere?

• @nest_kds

not enough memory on my HDD

:) It probably doesn't say anywhere. You could try telling us how much disk free space you do have: if it's 100K it won't be enough, and if it's 100MB [100GB!!] it will be! You could even tell us how much memory you have.

Try ninja -v for verbose output.

• @JonB said in Qt5.11.3 build fails for QtWebEngine on MSVC 2017 64bit:

:) It probably doesn't say anywhere. You could try telling us how much disk free space you do have: if it's 100K it won't be enough, and if it's 100MB it will be! You could even tell us how much memory you have.

Here it is: I had had about 21 Gb of free memory and when the error happened the free memory was less than 100 M.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

From the Chromium build on Windows instruction page:

System requirements

A 64-bit Intel machine with at least 8GB of RAM. More than 16GB is highly recommended.
    At least 100GB of free disk space on an NTFS-formatted hard drive. FAT32 will not work, as some of the Git packfiles are larger than 4GB.
    An appropriate version of Visual Studio, as described below.
    Windows 7 or newer.

While you should not be worried about the git related stuff, the free disk space is likely to apply.

• @SGaist

At least 100GB of free disk space

Jeepers-creepers! :) We put men on The Moon with about 64K! :)

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@JonB said in Qt5.11.3 build fails for QtWebEngine on MSVC 2017 64bit:

We put men on The Moon with about 64K! :)

That wasn't Google :-)

• @SGaist Thanks for the confirmation of my guess.
    Will try to free another 100Gb and give it another try again

• The error stays on. Even with 100Gb of free space

• So, 1st pass was NOK (configure plus jom and install)
    Second pass (jom plus install) worked!!!
    Don't know whether it is due or against Notre Dame de Paris (((