[Moved] QtCreator nightmare

• I am using QtCreator and had to include windows.h indirectly(through qexserialport classes). Now the intellisense has become so slow it has become impossible to code. :( is there a way i can switch the damn thing off?

• This might not be most suitable place for visual studio specific issues, but I found the following by googling for "visual studio 2008 disable intellisense":

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vcgeneral/thread/1ac6c3fe-8256-4337-907b-ad947d7dffb4/

• Open "Help->About Plugins" and try disabled anything from C++ category, after it restart Qt creator

• Actually I think OP's mention of IntelliSense stems from previous usage of visual studio. OP wants to disable code completion in creator.

Tools/Options, go to the "Text Editor"/Completion tab and change the "Activate completion" combo to the required setting (probably manually, so still enabling code completion with ctrl-space).

Actually I'm using QtCreator 2.3 at the moment and have several files using windows headers (including windows.h) without any code completion problems at all.

• @kakka: I am using qt creator, not visual studio as editor.
    @Franzk: I don't have code completion problems. It does pop up, but after like eternity. I switched to 2.3, as they said they do it on thread, so I will be spared with horrible wait. It was never a problem since 2.0 with only qt headers or so I think. May be I should increase the RAM on my box. But with 1.5gigs and typically only qtcreator app running, I wonder whether it will solve anything:(

• [quote author="pkj__" date="1317126038"]
    @Franzk: I don't have code completion problems. It does pop up, but after like eternity. [/quote]That was actually what I meant. The pop-up can take a while in older versions if you have a lot of possible completions, which is why you wouldn't suffer from it if you turn off code completion (it will still be updating the code model though).

[quote]I switched to 2.3, as they said they do it on thread, so I will be spared with horrible wait. [/quote] That's a good idea anyway. Creator made another big step forward.

[quote]May be I should increase the RAM on my box. But with 1.5gigs and typically only qtcreator app running, I wonder whether it will solve anything:([/quote]
    Not going to solve anything. With a lot of RAM string comparisons and pattern matching are still expensive.

• bq. Not going to solve anything. With a lot of RAM string comparisons and pattern matching are still expensive.

Yeah, you are right. I have adopted your suggestion with success. I really doubt this is not a creator thing and more of xp problem.
    Could you share your cpu clock rate(if it is not too personal ;) ) so that I can pin point that at least it is not my box's hardware. Mine is around 2 ghz.

• You made me blush.

I'm on a 3G quad core right now, but I can check how slow it is on my 900MHz single core eeepc tonight.

• bq. I’m on a 3G quad core

With that you can probably know the answer to life, universe and everything. Oh wait, you know that already. ;)
    Please let me know how it performs on your more humane(in terms of speed) pc. Thanks a lot :)

• On the eeepc in a fresh project it's actually not that bad, but definitely annoying when working on some code. If I include windows.h and start typing CD, it takes two or three seconds for all completions to be found.

That was with case insensitive code completion, which is not what I normally use. With case sensitive completion (fresh start) it's shown within half a second.

• Thanks a lot. And it looks like a good idea to have completion as case sensitive. For the problem occurs mostly with m$ code and since most of its shouting aloud anyway(I mean most of it is in CAPS), it leads to fewer troubles.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.