Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

How to Access ListModel from C++

• I have found many posts related to getting custom models into QML, but in my case I am very happy with the ListModel and simply want to make it available to C++. However, I am running into a crash which gives no feedback and I'm at a bit of a loss for how to continue.

Here is the relevant code snippet from how I try accessing the model from C++

C++:

Q_PROPERTY(QAbstractListModel* model READ model WRITE setModel)
    QAbstractListModel* model() const {return model_;};
    void setModel(QAbstractListModel *model){};

QAbstractListModel* model_;

QML:

ListModel {
        id: textModel
    }

TextBalloon {
        model: textModel
    }

Output:

QML debugging is enabled. Only use this in a safe environment.
    05:38:08: The program has unexpectedly finished.

Very frustrating not to have a more useful error message. It just bombs out. The debugger is no help, it gets stuck on view.setSource(QUrl("qrc:/qml/main.qml"));.

The program loads correctly when I remove the model: textModel line.

Anyone have a working example of accessing the ListModel from C++?

• Qt Champions 2017

Best thing is to avoid accessing qml objects from c++. If you do some mistake it will crash like this. You have go deep inside object tree to find your list model and then access it

• Qt Champions 2018

Can you post a simple example where your code crashes so that we can reproduce it ?
    What is the body of your setModel method ?

Accessing QML objects like that is perfectly fine and not a bad practice since you are passing it to c++, it's not the c++ retrieving it with a findChild call.

The video linked is about using a c++ model in a QML view, that's not relevant to OP's problem.

• I'm attributing this to the build system. The problem resolved itself when I started from a blank generic example and copied over the code before putting it back into the problematic app.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I needed to do a make clean.