Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

error LINK2019 is resolved when using explicit paths for library path

• I have two shared libraries. My two libraries are sub-projects on my main project and are ordered, as I have these lines on my main project *.pro file:

TEMPLATE = subdirs
    CONFIG += ordered
    SUBDIRS += firstlib secondlib standalone

I add the 1st shared library to my 2nd shared library by adding following lines of code to my 2nd library *.pro project file, which works fine on Linux but does NOT work on Windows:

win32:CONFIG(release, debug|release): LIBS += -L$$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/release/ -lfirstlib
    else:win32:CONFIG(debug, debug|release): LIBS += -L$$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/debug/ -lfirstlib
    else:unix: LIBS += -L$$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/ -lfirstlib

INCLUDEPATH += $$PWD/../firstlib
    DEPENDPATH += $$PWD/../firstlib

To my surprise, the above lines do NOT work on Windows, and I receive error LINK2019 and other kinds of LINK errors.

However, when using explicit paths for LIBS on Windows, it works fine:

win32:CONFIG(release, debug|release): LIBS += "C:\Users\me\repos\build-myapp-Desktop_Qt_5_11_2_MSVC2017_64bit-Release\firstlib\release\firstlib.lib"
    else:win32:CONFIG(debug, debug|release): LIBS += "C:\Users\me\repos\build-myapp-Desktop_Qt_5_11_2_MSVC2017_64bit-Debug\firstlib\debug\firstlib.lib"

INCLUDEPATH += "C:\Users\me\repos\build-myapp-Desktop_Qt_5_11_2_MSVC2017_64bit-Release\firstlib"
    DEPENDPATH += "C:\Users\me\repos\build-myapp-Desktop_Qt_5_11_2_MSVC2017_64bit-Release\firstlib"

Why do I have to use explicit LIBS paths on Windows to make it work?

• Qt Champions 2017

I suspect it path issue. It should work without any issue. You are using the backward slashes you should use two slashes "\" or use one forward slash /.

Also use -L <dirname> to specify the directory and -l <libname> like follows.

LIBS += -L"C:\Users\me\repos\build-myapp-Desktop_Qt_5_11_2_MSVC2017_64bit-Release\firstlib\release" -lfirstlib

• Moderators

Try this:

LIBS += -L"$$system_path($${OUT_PWD}/../firstlib/release)" -lfirstlib

• @dheerendra I'm not sure why using $$OUT_PWD for LIBS path is NOT working on Windows but it works on Linux? I mean, why this statement is NOT working on Windows:

LIBS += -L$$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/release/ -lfirstlib

• @sierdzio Thanks! Using $$system_path() for Windows solved my problem:

win32:CONFIG(release, debug|release): LIBS += -L"$$system_path($$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/release/)" -lfirstlib
    else:win32:CONFIG(debug, debug|release): LIBS += -L"$$system_path($$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/debug/)" -lfirstlib
    else:unix: LIBS += -L$$OUT_PWD/../firstlib/ -lfirstlib

I feel like QtCreator should add $$system_path() automatically when adding a library to a project, I'm not sure why it doesn't!

• Moderators

Yea, good idea. Please suggest it on Qt bugtracker.

• @sierdzio Right. Submitted the bug report here:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-72265

• Moderators

Nice, thanks! Voted.

• Figured out the root cause of the issue: my executable and a dynamically-link library DLL had the same name! I renamed the DLL sub-project, and the problem got resolved!