Using Qt Quick controls, views, scene graph without QML

• Is it possible to use QtQuick controls, views, scene graph, etc, without using QML at all?

I realize that the question might seem strange and even anti-thetical to the Qt Quick "philosophy" but I am a programmer, not a designer, and would like to program in languages I already know (Python, C++).

thanks
    a beginning Qt hacker

PS: Java went through this issue with JavaFX, originally having a JavaFX language, before dropping it, and including the JavaFX scene graph and controls as a standard Java library.

• Moderators

Unfortunately there is no public QtQuick C++ API. There is one for Qt3D, but not for Controls.

You can use the scene graph without QML. You can also control Quick components from C++. It is a bit hacky, but it is certainly possible to create QML interfaces without using QML language.

• Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there an example somewhere of how to use the scene graph from C++, and without QML. Just a basic example of showing a window and adding a label would be helpful.

Again thanks
    a beginning Qt hacker

• @qtpublicname
    Beware that I am not an expert, but I think you could take a look at https://github.com/uwerat/qskinny.

A lightweight framework on top of the Qt scene graph and only few classes from Qt/Quick. It is usable from C++ and/or QML.

Can you either use the framework yourself directly, or take some examples from its code?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.