Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

QSqlQuery::executedQuery() does not return a prepared query with SQLite

• Hi :-)

I use QSqlQuery::executedQuery() for debugging purposes. The docs say:

The placeholders in the original query are replaced with their bound values to form a new query. This function returns the modified query.

If I understand this correctly, a query like UPDATE config SET value = ? WHERE key = ? with foo and bar as bound values should be returned as UPDATE config SET value = 'foo' WHERE key = 'bar' or similar, shouldn't it? Instead, I always get the "original" query with the ? characters unchanged.

Am I missing something or is this a bug? I use Qt 5.9.4.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi
    Might be a silly question, but it did execute correctly ?

• @mrjj It did!

• @JonB Thanks for the link! The initial post asks the same question as I do here – but they talk about replication and inserting queries into another database later on, so I think the question (bug or feature or misread docs) is not answered there. Or did I miss something there?

• Qt Champions 2019

Please provide a minimal, compilable example so we can reproduce the issue. There are many things which can go wrong here...

• @l3u_
    Yes, I think I quoted it just for its explanation of what the behaviour should be under what circumstances.

So, just to be 100% clear because I don't see you've stated it above explicitly: when do you examine QSqlQuery::executedQuery() in your code? It only claims to do the substitution (if at all) after it has executed the query.

• Here we go. I took a modified "Hello world" program to make clear what I mean (assuming there's no "test.db" file where the program is executed):

main.cpp:

#include "MainWindow.h"
    #include <QApplication>

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
    {
        QApplication app(argc, argv);
        MainWindow mainWindow;
        mainWindow.show();
        return app.exec();
    }

MainWindow.h:

#include <QMainWindow>

class MainWindow : public QMainWindow
    {

public:
        MainWindow();

};

MainWindow.cpp:

#include "MainWindow.h"

#include <QSqlDatabase>
    #include <QSqlQuery>
    #include <QDebug>

MainWindow::MainWindow()
    {
        QSqlDatabase db;
        db = QSqlDatabase::addDatabase(QString::fromUtf8("QSQLITE"), QString::fromUtf8("SQLiteDB"));
        db.setDatabaseName(QString::fromUtf8("test.db"));
        db.open();

QSqlQuery query(db);
        query.exec(QString::fromUtf8("CREATE TABLE config(key TEXT, value TEXT)"));

query.prepare(QString::fromUtf8("INSERT INTO config(key, value) VALUES(?, ?)"));
        query.bindValue(0, QString::fromUtf8("foo"));
        query.bindValue(1, QString::fromUtf8("bar"));
        query.exec();

qDebug() << query.executedQuery();

db.close();
    }

Output (notice the unsubstituted "?" characters):

"INSERT INTO config(key, value) VALUES(?, ?)"

Control:

$ sqlite3 test.db "SELECT * FROM config"
    foo|bar