From 10:00 CET Friday 22nd November we will adjust how the server works to deal with some recently reported problems. Therefore there may be a load problem, if you experience more problems than usual trying to access the forum then please PM AndyS or any of the moderators so they can inform me.

How to set SO_REUSEPORT option for QUdpSocket?

• Hello. How to set SO_REUSEPORT option for QUdpSocket?

• Qt Champions 2017

use BindMode and BindFlag in bind(..) method

• I could not get this to work using the QUdpSocket::bind() functions and the BindFlag as dheerendra suggested. There doesn't seem to be a BindFlag for reusing ports, at least not in in Qt4 (what I use). I did look quickly at the Qt5 documentation and didn't see any appropriate BindFlag, either.

So I did it using Berkeley sockets. I'm using Linux, the same code might work with WinSock, if not something trivially similar will. The following code creates a QUdpSocket, provides it with a low-level socket descriptor that has been set for SO_REUSEPORT, then binds it to port 34567:

QUdpSocket *sock = new QUdpSocket;
    int sockfd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0);
    int optval = 1;
    setsockopt(sockfd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEPORT, 
                  (void *) &optval, sizeof(optval));
    sock->setSocketDescriptor(sockfd, QUdpSocket::UnconnectedState);
    sock->bind(34567, QUdpSocket::ShareAddress | QUdpSocket::ReuseAddressHint);

• @Xando

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47268023/how-to-set-so-reuseaddr-on-the-socket-used-by-qtcpserver takes the same approach as you do if required to access flags not available from Qt.

FYI though, have a careful read of https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-33419. At one point I see:

case QNativeSocketEngine::AddressReusable:
    #if defined(SO_REUSEPORT)
            // on OS X, SO_REUSEADDR isn't sufficient to allow multiple binds to the
            // same port (which is useful for multicast UDP). SO_REUSEPORT is, but
            // we most definitely do not want to use this for TCP. See QTBUG-6305.
            if (socketType == QAbstractSocket::UdpSocket)
                n = SO_REUSEPORT;
            else
                n = SO_REUSEADDR;
    #else
            n = SO_REUSEADDR;
    #endif

implying that code for QNativeSocketEngine::AddressReusable will use SO_REUSEPORT for QAbstractSocket::UdpSocket , provided available at compilation?