Best approach to create a media library

• Hello,

I started a project some days ago in order to challenge myself on what I have learned about Qt until here. I aim to build a music player that also provide a library interface to browse music by title, album, artist, genre, etc. But I have some problems constructing the music library.

• I don't know if I should use a database manager like SQL to store the music library.
      Since I want the loading process to be as fast as possible I thought I should store information like album list and artist list in and external file. To do this I would create specific lists like the following and save them. I wonder however if a database wouldn't be better. What do you think about?
    QList<Album> albums; //List of all albums

class Album
    {
        QString name;
        QStringList musicPaths;
    }

• I wonder if the Qt Multimedia module is a good choice to read metadata.
      I find that Qt Multimedia only provide access to metadata through a QMediaObject. In my case I must fist set the media to the QMediaPlayer and use de method metadata() to retrieve the metadata. But I want to be able to read the metadata directly from the a the file when supplying the music library. What would you suggest me?

Thank you for your advices and suggestions.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hi

• I don't know if I should use a database manager like SQL to store the music library.

Well using a dbms gives easy way to sort / select from the data with no extra coding.
    And if this is also a challenge, i would recommend using sqlite for the data.
    However, if you have not used Qt view / models yet. maybe its a bit involved.
    But very useful to learn about though. and you can get to play with
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qsqlrelationaltablemodel.html also.

• I wonder if the Qt Multimedia module is a good choice to read metadata.
      Well if you wish for more direct access, then maybe a tag lib might work better
      http://taglib.org/.

• @mrjj Many thanks mrjj for your answer. I'll make more researches about SQLite and Taglib.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.