[SOLVED] qtcpserver and qmainwindow on the constructor

• I have this server project that i am trying to create a form for it. in the mainwindow construction i have Qmainwindow as parent. the problems is that the tcpserver commands do not work now. i set the QTcpServer in the constructor as in the code below. now i am getting a bunch of errors. how to put the QTcpServer and the Qmainwindow on the constructor line without getting any errors. is this possible? do i need to put something into the header?

@class ChatterBoxServer : public QTcpServer, public QMainWindow

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),QTcpServer(parent),@

• You are trying to multiple inherit from two QObjects. That is not going to work for a whole bunch of reasons. The most important thing is the design choice though. Your main window has no business being a server. If it controls one, it should have a server.

• it does have a server. the problem is that i need the forms too. how can i have them both? if i have QtcpServer then i can't show the main form

• bq. if i have QtcpServer then i can’t show the main form

What ? Why couldn't you show the main form ? Just put the QTcpServer as an attribute of your MainWindow

• Kalster , you have already raised a question regarding this. Please check the work around i have posted in your other "thread":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/9006/.

• That is not the same question, if you ask me.

kalster, what Frankz and octal are trying to tell you, is that you should not do this:
    @
    class ChatterBoxServer : public QTcpServer, public QMainWindow

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
    QMainWindow(parent),QTcpServer(parent)
    @

but should instead do something like this:
    @
    class ChatterBoxServer : public QTcpServer
    {
    //...
    }

class ChatterBoxServerUi: public QMainWindow
    {
    public:
    ChatterBoxServerUi (ChatterBoxServer* server, QWidget* parent=0);
    //...

private:
    ChatterBoxServer* m_server;
    }
    @

That is: your ChatterBoxServer class is a subclass of just QTcpServer, and your UI for it is a subclass of QMainWindow that in its constructor (or in some other way) takes a pointer to an instance of a ChatterBoxServer instance.

• thank you Andre. i understand now. i never knew that i could use two classes like that in your example. your post helped me a lot. I marked this topic as solved.

• [quote author="Rahul Das" date="1313916068"]Kalster , you have already raised a question regarding this. Please check the work around i have posted in your other "thread":http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/9006/.[/quote]

Rahul Das is correct. i really do not need this topic anymore because he helped me out in the other topic. he basically solved two topics in one post.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.