Getting localized names for Windows default folders

• Hi :-)

I can get some default path where I can create files via e. g. QStandardPaths::writableLocation(QStandardPaths::DocumentsLocation) which works fine on both Linux and Windows. I also saw that one can get a localized name for the respective location via QStandardPaths::displayName.

The "problem" is that, on Windows, the names of some default folders are displayed localized. For the above command, I get (using Windows 7) – according to the documentation – C:/Users/some_user/Documents. This is (probably?) the actual path on the disk. But what the user (with a German locale) sees is a translated version: C:/Benutzer/some_user/Eigene Dokumente in this case.

So, not only the last folder is translated (the string I could get via the QStandardPaths::displayName call), but also the base directory.

Is there a reliable standard Qt way to be able to display the directory names the user knows from his other Windows programs?

• Qt Champions 2017

What does
    output ?

Ah, you tried that.

• It apprently describes the type of folder (like "Documents" or "Photos" or such), but it doesn't help translating the path.

• Qt Champions 2017

Hmm, they are actually translated in explorer if you browse around ?

• Qt Champions 2017

The folders seems to have the actual name.
    So if you look at path, dont they contain the translated names ?

Sadly i dont have anything but english to test on :)

But wont the path be translated in the returned string ?

• Using the explorer, I see the translated names. Like "Benutzer → some_user → Eigene Dokumente". If I click on that address bar, I see the actual path "C:\Users\some_user\Documents". Of course, one only sees the difference on a non-English system …

• Qt Champions 2017

Ok so it wont return
    c:\Users\xxxx ?

I never noticed that.

• @mrjj Exactly. Well, and that's also the actual path. But the displayed one differs.

• Qt Champions 2017

Didnt find anything for getting the other names.
    Hopefully others have a good idea :)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.