Menu items greyed out

• Hi all: I am a newbie in Qt, even though have worked in C++.

Developing a basic GUI. In that, have plugged in a simple media player using QMediaPlayer. But some of the menu items in Edit - like Cut / Copy / Paste - is greyed out while playing the video. But at other times it is active. I have checked designer UI file, and it is enabled as well. Other menu items in Edit menu are active.
    Any solutions for this trivial & strange issue?
    Thanks a ton, folks.

• Moderators

@krec-dev said in Menu items greyed out:

But some of the menu items in Edit - like Cut / Copy / Paste - is greyed out while playing the video. But at other times it is active.

about what menu are you talking?
    Where do the menu actions come from?

• Thanks @raven-worx for the note. My developed demo GUI for a video player has a EDIT menu, which has simple menu items called copy, paste etc.

While the video is playing in the media player, the menu items of copy & paste in Edit menu in the top menu bar is greyed out. At other items, these menu items - copy & paste - in Edit menu are active.

I have also attached a screenshot for your kind reference.

Added to this, there is this un-needed "Emoji Symbols " menu in the Edit menu drop down on Mac. Any work arounds for that?

0_1500982521521_Edit-Issue.png

• Moderators

@krec-dev
    you haven't answered my question, but nevermind i figured it out by myself.
    try the following:

#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
    #include <Foundation/NSUserDefaults.h>
    #endif

int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    #ifdef Q_OS_MAC
        [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
            setBool:YES forKey:@"NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem"];
        [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
            setBool:YES forKey:@"NSDisabledDictationMenuItem"];
    #endif

QApplication app(argc, argv);
        return app.exec();
    }

• Seems that you're disabling these action.

I don't know your implementation, but would you think that may be a good idea to set up the actions in the ctor or any function that changes the actions?

Thank you

• To add further to this and clarify , please note the menu items will be disabled ONLY after calling QFileDialog to open and load a video file to play. Does this have any issue as mentioned here (https://forum.qt.io/topic/51950/qt-mac-osx-few-menu-items-are-disabled-after-qfiledialog). Need to check.

Thanks for the replies, @raven-worx. But seems, the solutions is for the "emoji symbols and start dictation " menu items. But it appears it does not work out. I will explore that again.

@Charlie_Hdz. I have not setup any actions, in fact tried adding simple statements after setting up actions too, but still it does not work. The moment , Copy/ Paste /Cut changes to say demo or Copies, Pastes, Cuts - the menu items are active!
    I observe on stack overflow, that giving space while defining the titles in creator will solve that, but it has not worked out for me so far.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.