Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Menu items greyed out

• Hi all: I am a newbie in Qt, even though have worked in C++.

Developing a basic GUI. In that, have plugged in a simple media player using QMediaPlayer. But some of the menu items in Edit - like Cut / Copy / Paste - is greyed out while playing the video. But at other times it is active. I have checked designer UI file, and it is enabled as well. Other menu items in Edit menu are active.
    Any solutions for this trivial & strange issue?
    Thanks a ton, folks.

• Moderators

@krec-dev said in Menu items greyed out:

But some of the menu items in Edit - like Cut / Copy / Paste - is greyed out while playing the video. But at other times it is active.

about what menu are you talking?
    Where do the menu actions come from?

• Thanks @raven-worx for the note. My developed demo GUI for a video player has a EDIT menu, which has simple menu items called copy, paste etc.

While the video is playing in the media player, the menu items of copy & paste in Edit menu in the top menu bar is greyed out. At other items, these menu items - copy & paste - in Edit menu are active.

I have also attached a screenshot for your kind reference.

Added to this, there is this un-needed "Emoji Symbols " menu in the Edit menu drop down on Mac. Any work arounds for that?

0_1500982521521_Edit-Issue.png

• Moderators

@krec-dev
    you haven't answered my question, but nevermind i figured it out by myself.
    try the following:

#ifdef Q_OS_MAC
    #include <Foundation/NSUserDefaults.h>
    #endif

int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    #ifdef Q_OS_MAC
        [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
            setBool:YES forKey:@"NSDisabledCharacterPaletteMenuItem"];
        [[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
            setBool:YES forKey:@"NSDisabledDictationMenuItem"];
    #endif

QApplication app(argc, argv);
        return app.exec();
    }

• Seems that you're disabling these action.

I don't know your implementation, but would you think that may be a good idea to set up the actions in the ctor or any function that changes the actions?

Thank you

• To add further to this and clarify , please note the menu items will be disabled ONLY after calling QFileDialog to open and load a video file to play. Does this have any issue as mentioned here (https://forum.qt.io/topic/51950/qt-mac-osx-few-menu-items-are-disabled-after-qfiledialog). Need to check.

Thanks for the replies, @raven-worx. But seems, the solutions is for the "emoji symbols and start dictation " menu items. But it appears it does not work out. I will explore that again.

@Charlie_Hdz. I have not setup any actions, in fact tried adding simple statements after setting up actions too, but still it does not work. The moment , Copy/ Paste /Cut changes to say demo or Copies, Pastes, Cuts - the menu items are active!
    I observe on stack overflow, that giving space while defining the titles in creator will solve that, but it has not worked out for me so far.