I cannot compile a simple "hello" project

• I have been programming for a number of years C/C++ and GUI with Windows forms. I am interested in learnig Qt4 and I downloaded the QtSDK 4.7.3 for OS X Lion (I have a Mac computer with this OS with Xcode.app 4.1). Following a "qmake Tutotrial" in the "qmake Manual" I set a "hello" project with the following files:

"hello.h"
    #include <QPushButton>

class MyPushButton : public QPushButton
    {
    public:
    MyPushButton(const QString &text;);
    };

"hello.cpp"
    #include <QDebug>
    #include "hello.h"

MyPushButton::MyPushButton(const QString &text;)
    : QPushButton(text)
    {
    setObjectName("mypushbutton");
    qDebug() << "My PushButton has been constructed";
    }

"main.cpp"
    #include <QApplication>
    #include "hello.h"

int main(int argc, char **argv)
    {
    QApplication app(argc, argv);

MyPushButton helloButton("Hello world!");
    helloButton.resize(100, 30);

helloButton.show();
    return app.exec();

}

I have created a"hello.pro" file
    CONFIG += qt
    HEDERS += hello.h
    SOURCES += hello.cpp
    SOURCES =+ main.cpp

I have all these files in a subdirectory "Users/[my name]/Documents. Following the instructions of the tutorial I opened "Terminal" change to the directory where my files are and typed:
    qmake -o Makefile hello.pro.

Terminal came back with:
    -bash: qmake: command not found

I tried a number of different things with the same result. For example I found "qmake" in "Users/[my name]/QtSDK/Desktop/Qt/473/gcc/bin". I put a copy of "qmake" in the subdirectory with the other files with the same result. I also deleted the QtSDK and installed it again, rebooted my computer, etc.

Then I tried something else; I opened Qt Creator.app (version 2.2.1) and I did "File->New File or Project->Other Project->Empty Qt Project". A called this project "hello", I set up as "Target" "Desktop". Then, within QT Creator I clicked on "Buil All" and I get an error message "No rule to make target 'hello.cpp' needed by 'hello.o". Stop.

By the way I ran some of the examples in Qt Creator and the work correctly.

I will appreciate any ideas about compiling this project.

• Moderators

Hi mcII,

Welcome to the devnet forum!

Could put your code in @ tags or use the button with <> on it on top of this editor? That makes it more readable.

You could also make a new project based on this "tutorial":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/gettingstartedqt.html. I'm not sure which qmake tutorial you used. Could be an old one. Since you are a GUI guy i think you like it better ;)

Did you use the general console ? You should use the one you can find in the Qt group, which has all the needed paths set in. Go to start > Qt > ...console (or something like that)

• Try this "tutorial":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/install-mac.html. You need to set the environment variables, because your console right now knows nothing about where to find qmake and qt libs.

• Some mistakes when writing pro file
    @
    HEDERS += hello.h
    SOURCES += hello.cpp
    SOURCES =+ main.cpp
    @

to

@
    HEADERS += hello.h
    SOURCES += hello.cpp
    main.cpp
    @

Maybe still have some problem, i think you should try some example code first :D

• [quote author="Chuck Gao" date="1312040115"]Some mistakes when writing pro file
    @
    HEDERS += hello.h
    SOURCES += hello.cpp
    SOURCES =+ main.cpp
    @
    [/quote]

I think mcII sealed when post this, because he would have caught the error at compile time.
    Although what I'm saying he's not yet compiled :-D

• Thank you for your help. My background is from the "old" school of MS DOS but so far I have very little knowledge of the equivalent in the Mac world. I have no clue about setting environment variables in Mac I don't want to use this forum to learn these basics.
    I will look for books where I can learn as much as I need of the Mac Terminal. If after my education effort I have problems, I will come to this forum for help. Thanks again.

• [quote author="mcII" date="1312043464"]Thank you for your help. My background is from the "old" school of MS DOS but so far I have very little knowledge of the equivalent in the Mac world. I have no clue about setting environment variables in Mac I don't want to use this forum to learn these basics.
    I will look for books where I can learn as much as I need of the Mac Terminal. If after my education effort I have problems, I will come to this forum for help. Thanks again.[/quote]

Everything is fine, this forum was created for this purpose and you can ask about all.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.