How to select multiple GridLayout cells with mouse

• Hi,
    I've search all over Google and forums but I haven't found any solution that works for my problem. I'm trying to create an application for Computer use like Ruzzle and I need to figure out how to select a word, using the mouse click to "gather" the letters of the grid. How can I write my code?

• Hi,

you can create a custom QML item for each cell, capable of displaying a letter and handling clicks with a MouseArea.

For example:
    CellItem.qml:

import QtQuick 2.5

Rectangle {
      id: cell
      width: 50
      height: 50
      property signal clicked
      property alias text: textItem.text

Text {
        id: textItem
        anchors.centerIn: parent
      }

MouseArea {
        anchors.fill: parent
        onClicked: cell.clicked()
      }
    }

When having multiple cells in your grid then, use the text property and clicked signal to implement your game logic:

Item { // just some dummy item, use GridLayout or position cells however you like
      id: cells

CellItem {
        id: cell1
        text: "H"
        onClicked: cells.handleClick(cell1.text)
      }

CellItem {
        id: cell2
        text: "I"
        onClicked: cells.handleClick(cell2.text)
      }

function handleClick(letter) {
         // handle clicks on letters of grid, the line below prints the clicked letter
        console.log("Letter Clicked: "+letter)
      }
    }

For creating QML-based games, you can also have a look at V-Play Engine. It offers components to make mobile game development easier as well as game network/multiplayer services or plugins for e.g. advertisements or push notifications.

To learn more about game development with V-Play, please see the available the open-source game examples and tutorials. Especially the 2048 puzzle game or Juicy Squash match-3 game are a good fit for the type of game you want to make.

Cheers,
    GTDev

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.