How to build Qt 5.6.1 on Sierra with Xcode 8.3?

• Re: Static Install Fails on OSX

I'm trying to build Qt 5.6.1 on Sierra with Xcode 8.3. I get the error referenced above. I tried copying in qtconnectivity from the 5.6.2 tag, same error. I tried the 5.7.1 tag, new error:

In file included from /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/base/mac/mac_util.mm:23:
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/base/mac/sdk_forward_declarations.h:465:12: error: cannot define category for undefined class 'CBPeripheral'
    @interface CBPeripheral (MavericksSDK)
               ^

What am I doing wrong?

• Moderators

@davidb said in How to build Qt 5.6.1 on Sierra with Xcode 8.3?:

cannot define category for undefined class 'CBPeripheral'

The problem is in XCode 8 and Chromium's code which QtWebEngine uses. Here is a fix for you:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39572757/cannot-define-category-for-undefined-class

• @ambershark Thanks - after applying that fix, I now get this set of errors:

/Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:46:16: error: unknown class name 'CBCentralManagerDelegate'; did you mean 'CBCentralManager'?
        : NSObject<CBCentralManagerDelegate> {
                   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                   CBCentralManager
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/base/mac/sdk_forward_declarations.h:46:8: note: 'CBCentralManager' declared here
    @class CBCentralManager;
           ^
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:46:16: error: type argument 'CBCentralManager' must be a pointer (requires a '*')
                   ^
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:46:7: error: type arguments cannot be applied to non-parameterized class 'NSObject'
          ^       ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:108:7: warning: multiple methods named 'state' found [-Wobjc-multiple-method-names]
      if ([manager_ state] != CBCentralManagerStatePoweredOn) {
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Foundation.framework/Headers/NSURLSession.h:312:44: note: using
    @property (readonly) NSURLSessionTaskState state;
                                               ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSCell.h:182:21: note: also found
    @property NSInteger state;
                        ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSButton.h:27:21: note: also found
                        ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSMenuItem.h:106:21: note: also found
                        ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSGestureRecognizer.h:67:47: note: also found
    @property (readonly) NSGestureRecognizerState state;
                                                  ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSDrawer.h:73:32: note: also found
    @property (readonly) NSInteger state;
                                   ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/AppKit.framework/Headers/NSVisualEffectView.h:99:31: note: also found
    @property NSVisualEffectState state;
                                  ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreBluetooth.framework/Headers/CBPeripheral.h:126:39: note: also found
    @property(readonly) CBPeripheralState state;
                                          ^~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/ImageCaptureCore.framework/Headers/ICScannerFunctionalUnits.h:663:53: note: also found
    @property(readonly)   ICScannerFunctionalUnitState  state;
                                                        ^~~~~
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:108:27: error: use of undeclared identifier 'CBCentralManagerStatePoweredOn'
      if ([manager_ state] != CBCentralManagerStatePoweredOn) {
                              ^
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:125:13: warning: instance method '-scanForPeripheralsWithServices:options:' not found (return type defaults to 'id') [-Wobjc-method-access]
      [manager_ scanForPeripheralsWithServices:services options:nil];
                ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreBluetooth.framework/Headers/CBPeripheral.h:16:8: note: receiver is instance of class declared here
    @class CBCentralManager;
           ^
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:131:15: warning: instance method '-stopScan' not found (return type defaults to 'id') [-Wobjc-method-access]
        [manager_ stopScan];
                  ^~~~~~~~
    /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.12.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreBluetooth.framework/Headers/CBPeripheral.h:16:8: note: receiver is instance of class declared here
    @class CBCentralManager;
           ^
    /Users/sierramcbuildmachine/dev/qt561_fmosoft/qtwebengine/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/bluetooth_low_energy_discovery_manager_mac.mm:155:34: warning: instance method '-initWithDelegate:queue:' not found (return type defaults to 'id') [-Wobjc-method-access]
      manager_.reset([[aClass alloc] initWithDelegate:bridge_
                                     ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    4 warnings and 4 errors generated.
    [9242/11832] OBJCXX obj/src/3rdparty/chromium/device/bluetooth/device_bluetooth.bluetooth_l2cap_channel_mac.o
    ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
    make[4]: *** [invoke_ninja] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [sub-gyp_run-pro-make_first] Error 2
    make[2]: *** [sub-core-make_first] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [sub-src-make_first] Error 2
    make: *** [module-qtwebengine-make_first] Error 2

Any ideas?

• Moderators

@davidb To be honest these problems look like more of the same related to the issue above.

It's basically not having the specific header included to define these objects.

Like #import <CoreBluetooth/CBPeripheral.h> for the fix above. I don't know obj-c so I can't help with the specific but if I had to guess you could try #import <CoreBluetooth/CBCentralManager.h> and #import <CoreBluetooth/CBCentralManagerDelegate.h>. Just guessing though. :)

I would google that error and I bet you find someone who had similar problems and a possible solution.

• @ambershark thanks. Here's the solution that works for me, in case it helps someone else:

Start with Qt 5.6.1 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.3, with Xcode 8.3.

1. following https://forum.qt.io/topic/72833/static-install-fails-on-osx, get qtconnectivity from Qt 5.7.1
    2. Similarly, get qtwebengine 5.7.1 and run git submodule update --init

Then Qt 5.6.1 (with the two 5.7.1 modules) built for me.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.