Similar reference for different tabs in tabwidget (Strange problem )

• I am creating tabs dynamically in a tabwidget using this method :

def add_new_tab(self,index,text):

self.new_tab = InterfaceTemplateDialog()
       self.tabs.addTab(self.new_tab,text)
       self.tabs.setTabText(index,text)

Trying to print the reference of selected tab using this method :

def onChange(self):

currentIndex = self.tabs.currentIndex()
        print InterfaceTemplateDialog()

I get the same reference for every selected tab except for the first selected:

<OptionsTRANUS.interface_template.InterfaceTemplateDialog object at 0x0000000014F842F0>
    <OptionsTRANUS.interface_template.InterfaceTemplateDialog object at 0x0000000014F8EE18>
    <OptionsTRANUS.interface_template.InterfaceTemplateDialog object at 0x0000000014F8EE18>

If references are similar, I cannot control actions on tabs.

So what is this strange problem ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Hi,

You are printing the result of the creation of a new InterfaceTemplateDialog. What's your point in doing that ?

• Hello,

I want to add an attribute in my class InterfaceTemplateDialog which is index so I can after perform actions on every tab by his index. Example :

currentIndex = self.tabs.currentIndex()

InterfaceTemplateDialog(currentIndex).run_btn_start()

and run_btn_start() will be implemented in InterfaceTemplateDialog

Getting the same reference for different tabs make me doubt about a strange problem.

• Hello again,

I think the correct way to get the correct reference is to use :

currentTabWidget = self.tabs.currentWidget()

with self.tabs = self.findChild(QtGui.QTabWidget, 'tabWidget')

I tested, it works well. Thanks.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

That's pretty convoluted.

You seem to be creating InterfaceTemplateDialog for each tab in your QTabWidget and then in your onChange method you seem to create a new InterfaceTemplateDialog to call a function on it. That doesn't make much sense.

What exactly do you want to do ? And when ?

• My tabs have the same content (widget) with same buttons, checkboxes, .. What I want to do exactly is to execute actions (button click ..) on a selectioned tab .

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then create your widget, then the connections for that widget and finally add it to your QTabWidget.

However, why do you need a QTabWidget that contains the exact same widget several times ?

• Hello,

Actually, there is a table with serveral columns. Now, we want to transform this table to a tabwidget beacause, may be we can have many columns so the size of the table will be not sufficient.

• Moderators

@EJWA If the table is too big how can tab widget help?
    You should put your table into QScrollArea http://doc.qt.io/qt-5.8/qscrollarea.html

• Hi, this is what my client want. I think tabs are more beautiful in design than tables.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

What kind of table ? Showing what ?

• Table with different scenarios (use cases) : every column has many checkboxes to check to run the program selected

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Then why don't you put the active logic directly in your InterfaceTemplateDialog ?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.