ICU 58.2 cross-compilation

• Hi,

I was trying to build the webkit with qt5.8 for ARM platform ( am335x ), in the latest buildroot it is an option to use the webkit along with qt5.8.

However, this isn't the main question here. I need to build the ICU library to build qt with ICU support,
    I get this error when verifying the libraries :

icu.o: In function `main':
    icu.cpp:(.text.startup+0x1c): undefined reference to `ucol_open_58'
    icu.cpp:(.text.startup+0x38): undefined reference to `ucol_close_58'

The ucol_open and close function exiosts, but what about the _58 ?! Is that some kind of flag I need to add to my compiler while building the lib ?

• @SimonB I assume you see this error when running Qt's configure and icu.cpp in question is ./config.tests/unix/icu/icu.cpp

Looks like your ICU library (for ARM) is not installed properly. Are you installing it with buildroot, or?

• @Konstantin-Tokarev
    Hi, I am not using buildroot for this build, I building it on the side ( host build, and target build )

The target script looks like :

#! /bin/sh

START_DIR=$PWD
    BASE_DIR=$(pwd)
    export PATH=$PWD/toolchain/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/bin:/$PATH
    export SYSROOT=/media/projects/sbenoit/tor019-os/toolchain/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi/sysroot
    CC=arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi
    INSTALL_ROOT=$SYSROOT
    #Where it will be installed
    PREFIX=$PWD/buildroot/board/tornatech/filesystem
    export ICU_BUILD_DIR=$BASE_DIR/icu58-2
    export ICU_SOURCE_DIR=$BASE_DIR/icu58-2/icu_source
    export ICU_HOST_DIR=$BASE_DIR/icu58-2/icu_host_build

### NOW THE TARGET BUILD ###

cd $ICU_BUILD_DIR
    mkdir icu_target_build
    export ICU_TARGET_DIR=$BASE_DIR/icu58-2/icu_target_build

#Build ICU for target
    cd $ICU_TARGET_DIR
    ICU_FLAGS="-I$ICU_SOURCE_DIR/source/common/ -I$ICU_SOURCE_DIR/source/tools/tzcode/ -O3 -fno-short-wchar -DU_USING_ICU_NAMESPACE=1 -fno-short-enums -DU_HAVE_NL_LANGINFO_CODESET=0 -D__STDC_INT64__ -DU_TIMEZONE=0 -DUCONFIG_NO_LEGACY_CONVERSION=1 -DUCONFIG_NO_BREAK_ITERATION=1 -DUCONFIG_NO_COLLATION=1 -DUCONFIG_NO_FORMATTING=1 -DUCONFIG_NO_TRANSLITERATION=0 -DUCONFIG_NO_REGULAR_EXPRESSIONS=1"

export CPPFLAGS="-I$SYSROOT/usr/include/ -I$SYSROOT/usr/include/ -I./include/ $ICU_FLAGS -pipe"

export LDFLAGS="-L$SYSROOT/usr/lib/ -Wl,-dead_strip"

sh $ICU_SOURCE_DIR/source/configure --host=arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi -with-cross-build=$ICU_HOST_DIR --prefix=$PREFIX

if ! make -j5; then
    	echo -e "${RED}Error making ICU Target ( filesystem )!${NC}"
    	exit 1
    fi

if ! make install; then
    	echo -e "${RED}Error Installing ICU Target ( filesystem )!${NC}"
    	exit 1
    fi

I followed a guide which build it with a static build, I changed it to shared lib but that didn't help.
    I see the QTConfig finding the libs, the libs folder is populated with :

libicudata.so.58
    libicudata.so.58.2
    libicui18n.so
    libicui18n.so.58
    libicui18n.so.58.2
    libicuio.so
    libicuio.so.58
    libicuio.so.58.2
    libicutest.so
    libicutest.so.58
    libicutest.so.58.2
    libicutu.so
    libicutu.so.58
    libicutu.so.58.2
    libicuuc.so
    libicuuc.so.58
    libicuuc.so.58.2

and all the other libs ...

I don't really understand why it tries to get the function ucol_open with the _58 at the end, this function is made with the shared library ?

I am not using buildroot, because we are using a unsupported kernel version, and I didn't want to bump the buildroot and mess up all the build.
    So, on the side I am building qt5.8 with toolkit, with the kernel 4.1 and the beaglebone package to analyse how ICU is compiled . I hope I'll find a the magic flag/answer soon :P

• I got it to work by changing 2 things

export CPPFLAGS="-Os"

And by removing the prefix in the configure, and installing it twice ( one in the sysroot of the toolchain ) and the other in the filesystem for the target

sh $ICU_SOURCE_DIR/source/configure --host=arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi -with-cross-build=$ICU_HOST_DIR --prefix=""

if ! make -j5 DESTDIR=$SYSROOT install; then
    	echo -e "${RED}Error making ICU Target ( sysroot )!${NC}"
    	exit 1
    fi

if ! make -j5 DESTDIR=$PREFIX install; then
    	echo -e "${RED}Error Installing ICU Target ( filesystem )!${NC}"
    	exit 1
    fi

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.