What does QTimer::singleShot(0, this, SLOT(SlotName))); do

• In my function

void myView::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent* event)
    {
    if (action == move) {
    QTimer::singleShot(0, this, SLOT(moveItems()));
    }
    }

}

void myView::mouseReleaseEvent(QMouseEvent* event)
    {
    if (action == move) {
    // handle move
    // update the x y coordinates in our own customised database code
    }

}

My question is I am not able to get What does QTimer::singleShot(0, this, SLOT(SlotName))); do ?

• It will call moveitems function immediately only once. Just look at documentation as well. "a QTimer with a timeout of 0 will time out as soon as all the events in the window system's event queue have been processed".

• Is it a good practice to call moveitems once after mouseReleaseEvent , to avoid many calls to moveItems ?

• In your case every time mouse is released called moveitems function will be called. May b this is done with purpose as this has effect of calling moveitems function as event loop processing. Wha is the idea behind calling moveitems ? What does it do ?

• myView is QGraphicsView

We have our own parallel database items for objects shown in myView and

The moveItems update the x and y coordinates of these database objects s
    we need to update the x and y coordinates of these database objects so the GUI and database are in sync

• Understood now. There is no need to move your single shot method outside mouserelease. That is the right way. Why did u think of moving single shot function outside your mouserelease ?

• sorry for delayed reply I was just trying understand the design , I think your answers solved my quries

• Super. Just move the issue to "Solved" state. It helps other. Enjoy Qt!!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.