QTcpServer::listen() network time out

• I have the simplest of servers (just for test), but on one Windows 7 machine this fails

server->listen( QHostAddress::All,5000);

with an error of "Network Operation Timed Out". Using Qt 5.8 with MSVC2015 and the machine is dual-NIC. It is also running McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention if that is relevant, and the settings are beyond my control. The program works fine on another Windows 7 computer (a laptop). Also it works fine with ::LocalHost, but then I have no access from other computers.

Has anyone experienced this before... any ideas?
    Thanks

• Moderators

@gmm398

Hi and welcome to devnet

Does the error message come immediately?

Probably it is a firewall issue as you already suspect. You would need to with the AV if there is a setting respectively a notice. Check if you allow listening to the port.

When the error message pops up immediately, you could disable the AV's firewall for a while and check if it the error pops up after enabling the firewall.

• It takes around 5 seconds (as opposed to a second or less when it works with LocalHost).

I tried a pure winsock program (straight C++) and that works fine "0.0.0.0" and "::" , so it does not appear to be a firewall problem. The laptop that the Qt sample worked on has the same firewall.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.