QML: How to access context property if its name is shadowed by a component-local property?

• My code:

main.cpp:

#include <QGuiApplication>
    #include <QQmlApplicationEngine>
    #include <QQmlContext>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
        QGuiApplication app(argc, argv);

QQmlApplicationEngine engine;

engine.load(QUrl(QStringLiteral("qrc:/main.qml")));
        engine.rootContext()->setContextProperty("text", "hey");

return app.exec();
    }

main.qml:

import QtQuick 2.5
    import QtQuick.Window 2.2

Window {
        id: window
        visible: true
        width: 640
        height: 480

Text {
            text: text
        }
    }

Of course, the text: text line doesn't do what I want it to, because of name shadowing.

I worked around that by setting a property on the root object, rather than on the root context, and using text: window.text.

Is there any real fix though?

• Moderators

@Stefan-Monov76
    short answer: no
    Obviously such case is semantically ambigious.

You can use an alias property, which is basically the same as your solution,

• @raven-worx: Yes, it's ambiguous because I don't know (or there isn't) a syntax for disambiguating. For example in C++ a roughly equivalent statement, involving a local text and a global text, would be text = ::text which is unambiguous. Or, if you have a member var and a local, you could use text = this->text. So this is possible in C++, I was just asking if it's possible in QML as well :)

Thanks for the answer.

• Moderators

@Stefan-Monov76
    This is because C++ is object-orientated and type-safe. So namespaces are supported there.
    Whereas JavaScript is not, thus it's not supported/needed there.

• @raven-worx: Yes, it's ambiguous because I don't know (or there isn't) a syntax for disambiguating. For example in C++ a roughly equivalent statement, involving a local text and a global text, would be text = ::text which is unambiguous.

Hehe, I was discussing that with others last week, a way to differentiate context properties from regular object properties. Could be used in your case to disambiguate the root context property, or to access model properties from outside a delegate, for example : listView.currentItem::age without having to expose it as a property.
    This syntax is not achievable for the moment, but you could do something like this listView.currentItem.Context.property("age"), you won't get notified of any change though. You could also do it for the root context with a singleton exposing it with the same caveat about the changes.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.