Cannot link Qt static libraries

• Hi all,

I want to deploy a stand-alone application for Windows 32 bit with MinGW using Qt Creator.

I followed this guide to build Qt statically for Windows (MinGW) and the building process went just fine.

Then, as suggested by the guide, I opened Qt creator and defined a new Kit which uses the new Qt Static version I just built (by linking its qmake.exe). My previously developed project obviously complained (many errors referring to "undefined reference to") when I switched to the other kit that he could not find any reference for the used Qt functions and classes.

In order to tell Qt how to find the libraries I changed the .pro file as follows (I used the Qt UI for linking libraries):

# Project created by QtCreator 2016-09-28T14:09:58
    #
    #-------------------------------------------------

QT       += core gui

greaterThan(QT_MAJOR_VERSION, 4): QT += widgets

TARGET = String_GUI
    TEMPLATE = app
    CONFIG += static

SOURCES += main.cpp\
        fontdaemon.cpp

HEADERS  += fontdaemon.h

INCLUDEPATH += $$PWD/../../../../Qt/Static/5.7.0/include
    DEPENDPATH += $$PWD/../../../../Qt/Static/5.7.0/include

win32: LIBS += -L$$PWD/../../../../Qt/Static/5.7.0/lib/ -lQt5Core //Example of including one library
    win32-g++: PRE_TARGETDEPS += $$PWD/../../../../Qt/Static/5.7.0/lib/libQt5Core.a

But even including all the libraries present in the library folder (I put just one for simplicity, but I tried to include all of them), I still get the same number (aboyut 300) of errors "undefined reference to", for example:

C:\Users\Documents\String_GUI\main.cpp:-1: error: undefined reference to `QApplication::QApplication(int&, char**, int)' 

It seems my project does not find any reference of the Qt tools in the libraries I link it against. Any insight of what could be the problem?

I have noticed that the static libraries of my Qt static building have the *.a extension instead of the expected (by me) *.lib ; could this be a problem? The compiler anyway does not complain that he cannot find the libraries, so I guess not, but who knows...

Moreover, how can I know which static libraries I need to link my project against, depending on the Qt header files I include for definition?

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

@CBenussi

You might be right with your assumption, but the error message you are showing is referring to a constructor which does not exist.
    QApplication has an integer and pointers to "strings" (char **). I wonder you got the compilation done with this parameter list.

• The problem is that Qt is not loading at all the static libraries, since none of the objects I use in my application (QLabel, QLineEdit, QFont...) has a reference to. It compiles perfectly by using the Qt version downloaded with the dll's anyway.

• *.a are libraries compiled with mingw
    *.lib are libraries compiled with Visual Studio
    QApplication is for graphical I think, so I believe you missed some libraries to link.
    try with Qt5Widgets.a and qmain.a.

(sorry for my bad english)

• I tried to link all the libraries present in lib/, include Qt5Widgets and qmain

• Any hint?

I could have found a problem. When defining the Kit for the Static version of Qt, I get the following warning for the Qt version:
    "no qmlscene installed":

alt text

And then under the kit definition qt tells me that: "The compiler MinGW (x86-windows-msys-pe-32bit) may not produce code compatible with the Qt version (x86-windows-unknown-pe-32bit) installed.
    Could this be the cause?

• I found the "super silly" problem. I had two versions of MinGW, and I've built the static version of Qt with one, but was defining the kit with the other one. Now it works fine.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.