I want to block my program until finishing the download !

• Hi . I am new in QT and I wrote a code for download file using QNetworkAccessManager , but I want to block my code until the download finishs.

this is my main :

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
        QCoreApplication app(argc, argv);
        MyClass* obj = new MyClass();

obj->downloadToQString(QUrl( "http://codeforces.com" ));
        if ( obj->error == false )
            qDebug() << obj->result;
        else
            qDebug() << "Error : " <<obj->errorString;

app.exec();
    }

my request for download :

void downloadToQString(QUrl url)
        {
            error = false;
            errorString = "";
            result = "";

reply = nam.get(QNetworkRequest(url));
            QObject::connect(reply, SIGNAL(finished()), this, SLOT(onFinishedQString()));
        }

because download don't make block the program , it continues it's running and main prints empty string in output.

I know Threading is good but it will be hard for me to handle it.

• Hello,

In your method downloadToQString, you connect your QNetworkReply* to a slot of your class MyClass. Why don't you print the result in this method ?

• @mistralegna Hi . I wrote this code just for testing downloading does work correctly or not.

I will use this class in GUI project not in console. first I must prevent user from doing anything before download completes and after knowing the result of download , decide what i have to do.

• @bluemmb sorry I mean Widget Application.

• Moderators

@bluemmb
    Basically this is possible (e.g. using a "local" QEventLoop), but since you mentioned that you want to use it in GUI it would be way better usability/UX design if you show for example a modal dialog as long as the download isn't finished.

You could use a QProgressDialog or even a custom QDialog subclass and set them modal. So the user knows that something is going on instead of a simply unresponding application.

• @raven-worx thanks , i have been doing what you have told.
    But i really want to know how we can do it , is there any way at all ?

• Moderators

@bluemmb

QNetworkReply* reply = nam->get( request )  ;

QEventLoop loop;
    connect(reply, SIGNAL(finished()), &loop, SLOT(quit()));
    loop.exec();

• @bluemmb thanks very much , i used your code in another place :)

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.