Understanding QSG_RENDER_TIMING

• Hi,

I am trying to understand why my qt gui gets slow downs sometimes.
    In order to understand the timing giving by QSG_RENDER_TIMING
    I have run Custom Geometry Example
    in QtCreator and I got timings like this:

renderer: time in renderer: total=0ms, preprocess=0, updates=0, binding=0, rendering=0
    .renderloop: Frame rendered with 'basic' renderloop in 10ms, polish=0, sync=0, render=0, swap=0, frameDelta=16

renderer: total=0ms, preprocess=0, updates=0, binding=0, rendering=0
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'basic' renderloop in 15ms, polish=0, sync=0, render=0, swap=1, frameDelta=34

if polish sync render and swap is only 1ms, where is the rest of the timing comes from? I am on Qt 5.5.1 and looking over renderWindow() source code it looks like those timings should add up. I am getting similar situation in my own Qt code , once in a while I get a spike .. instead of 10ms renderloop takes 20ms or more.
    I am also wondering why this example would take so much in renderloop?

Thank a lot :)

• I also noticed, this timings I get running at 60fps (16ma update time). If I update QQuickItem at let's say 25ms (Using QTimer to trigger update()) then the timings I get are following:

renderloop: Frame rendered with 'basic' renderloop in 13ms, polish=0, sync=0, render=0, swap=1, frameDelta=32
    renderer: time in renderer: total=0ms, preprocess=0, updates=0, binding=0, rendering=0
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'basic' renderloop in 4ms, polish=0, sync=0, render=0, swap=0, frameDelta=16
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'basic' renderloop in 13ms, polish=0, sync=0, render=0, swap=1, frameDelta=34

Looks strange
    I have tried to change to the threaded model and I see similar timing but now it shows that the time in question was actually in the swap:

renderloop: Frame rendered with 'threaded' renderloop in 12ms, sync=0, render=0, swap=12 - (on render thread)
    renderloop: Frame prepared with 'threaded' renderloop, polish=0, lock=0, blockedForSync=5, animations=0 - (on Gui thread) QQuickView(0x7fff5fa7da78)
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'threaded' renderloop in 15ms, sync=0, render=0, swap=15 - (on render thread)
    renderloop: Frame prepared with 'threaded' renderloop, polish=0, lock=0, blockedForSync=5, animations=0 - (on Gui thread) QQuickView(0x7fff5fa7da78)
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'threaded' renderloop in 17ms, sync=0, render=0, swap=17 - (on render thread)
    renderloop: Frame prepared with 'threaded' renderloop, polish=0, lock=0, blockedForSync=6, animations=0 - (on Gui thread) QQuickView(0x7fff5fa7da78)
    renderloop: Frame rendered with 'threaded' renderloop in 20ms, sync=0, render=0, swap=20 - (on render thread)
    renderloop: Frame prepared with 'threaded' renderloop, polish=0, lock=0, blockedForSync=11, animations=0 - (on Gui thread)

I am wondering why the swap timing are so all over the place which seems to result in some frames not being able to draw consistently.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.