Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

The easiest way to connect a Qt app with cloud services - ftp

• Hi all. What is the easiest or more popular way to connect a qt application with a cloud service, for example Dropbox, Google Drive, Amazon Web Services etc? What is the easiest API - SDK for this purpose in C++? What about ftp?

Imagine that in a company, new software applications or new versions are created very often, and every time these ones should be distributed to employees - technicians. It should be done online and maybe automatically.

Do you have an idea how it can be done on QT? Any suggestions - advice? Thanks in advance.

• Lifetime Qt Champion

Why not just use dropbox ?
    We do that. have a install folder. dropbox sync it behind our backs and
    it just works out of the box.

• Thanks for the answer mrjj. Can you tell me more details? Or just give a link to understand better, hot it works?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Konstantinos

Well we just have a dropbox installed.

I have shared a folder to our engineers.

IF i update a file in that folder, they get the update at once.
    (when they are on net)

It works quite fast. Often they will use a phone as wifi to sync to new version.

If u can live with 2 GB u can even do it completely free.
    There is very little setup. just install and use.
    Not sure what else I can tell you?

• Hi again. So with the dropbox installed on all the computers, can the administrator force all of them to upgrade a software application? Can the update be done in the background automatically, without giving in users the opportunity to see this or to reject this?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Konstantinos
    no. they just have easy access to the installer and the technician will himself apply the update.

• @mrjj

I understand. So, in my case, maybe it would be better to create a qt application for this purpose? Technicians will not care about the updates, and these ones will be done automatically. In this case, a cloud service (Dropbox, google drive, amazon etc) will be useful?

• Lifetime Qt Champion

@Konstantinos

So you are not looking for a way to distribute some software, but you want to to be able to
    force an update of installed software WITHOUT user being able to stop it or
    being involved ?

You can still use dropbox for the actual transfer as it work super great. You can install a program
    that look in dropbox for new files and install them.

There are many IT solutions for this use case but works best with domains etc.

• @mrjj said:

You can still use dropbox for the actual transfer as it work super great. You can install a program
    that look in dropbox for new files and install them.

There are many IT solutions for this use case but works best with domains etc.

I understand. How are these programs that look in dropbox for new files and install them called?

Can you tell me some examples?