Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Save a file in the same directory as QSettings

• Dear all,
    I'm using QSettings for my applications and I choose to save in as a ini file instead off using the registry.
    Depending on the running system, it will be saved in a specific directory.

Now I would like to save another file in the very same filder. So I need to be able to build the path on my own.
    I tried to look at QSettings.cpp source code but I can't find how to build this path.

Thanks a lot for your help!

• Ok I found my answer:
    @QString settingsPath = QFileInfo(settings.fileName()).absolutePath();@

• That path is usually the wrong one. Use QDesktopServices::DataLocation for such stuff!

• Why is this path wrong?
    On win7, qsettings are stored in appData/Roaming while QDesktopServices::DataLocation points to appData/Local

• Saving arbitrary data in a preferences folder is wrong. Such data belongs elsewhere. These methods are there for a reason.

The problem with roaming/local on Windows 7 might be fixed in a future release. Is there a bug report open? Would be good, to brings that to the Troll's attention.

• What path is returned, if you sue QSettinsg with native format on windows? The settings are then stored in the registry...

• [quote author="Gerolf" date="1308499376"]What path is returned, if you sue QSettinsg with native format on windows? The settings are then stored in the registry...[/quote]

According to API docs:

bq. On Windows, if the format is QSettings::NativeFormat, the return value is a system registry path, not a file path.

• Are you sure it is a bug?
    [quote author="Volker" date="1308498317"]The problem with roaming/local on Windows 7 might be fixed in a future release. Is there a bug report open? Would be good, to brings that to the Troll's attention.[/quote]

• Feature requests are in the "bug" tracker too :-)

• I can understand this. However I don't know what I should request. I just said
    [quote author="neFAST" date="1307718701"]On win7, qsettings are stored in appData/Roaming while QDesktopServices::DataLocation points to appData/Local[/quote] but is it a bug? What should be the correct behavior?

• [quote author="neFAST" date="1308696036"]I can understand this. However I don't know what I should request. I just said
    [quote author="neFAST" date="1307718701"]On win7, qsettings are stored in appData/Roaming while QDesktopServices::DataLocation points to appData/Local[/quote] but is it a bug? What should be the correct behavior?[/quote]

I do not have an idea. I would have to read on that topic first. Maybe some googling gives you more information. Sorry that I cannot give you a more useful answer.