Qt + OpenGL multithreading

• Hello,

I am new to this forum and I have a question.
    I am making a very simple Qt application with OpenGL, with the QOpenGLWidget promoted to a class that I made, let's call it MainWindowOGL that inherits the QOpenGLWidget, I want to run the OpenGL context/rendering in a separate thread from the GUI, I am trying to call std::thread t1(&MainWindowOGL::paintGL, this); from the function initializeGL inside my own class. It compiles just fine but I am still experimenting on how to do this properly and when I run the program i get The program has unexpectedly finished. Even when adding t1.join(); at the end of the initializeGL member function (probably incorrect way of doing it) I get the same issue. My goal is to create a thread where all the OpenGL will run inside a while loop for the life cycle of the application.
    I am using the latest version of Qt and I created the application in designer mode, which means I haven't touched the main.cpp file.
    I am running Ubuntu 14.04 + Nvidia proprietary drivers 361.28.

Please help!
    Thank you in advanced!

• Have you tried using Qt3D? It's pretty good for making simple 3d applications with qt.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.