Crash when using QString and va_list under x86 (x64 works!)

• Does anyone have a moderate idea why the following works perfectly fine and as expected under x64 but crashes on the line indicated under x86? Having a look at argp in the debugger, argp already seems wrong because it contains character -52 like 100 times in a row whereas under x64 it has just around 8 reasonable and positive characters.
    Is there a work-around where I possibly don't have to change the method signature?

#include <QString>

static void test(const QString& format, ...)
    {
      static char msg[2048];

va_list argp;
      va_start(argp, format);
      // crashes here under x86
      vsnprintf(msg, 2048, format.toStdString().c_str(), argp);
      va_end(argp);
      printf("%s", msg);
    }

int main()
    {
      test("teststring: %s", "foobar");
      return 0;
    }

The funny thing is that this also works perfectly fine under both configurations...

static void test(const char* format, ...)
    {
      static char msg[2048];

va_list argp;
      va_start(argp, format);
      vsnprintf(msg, 2048, format, argp);
      va_end(argp);
      printf("%s", msg);
    }

int main()
    {
      QString qstr = "teststring: %s";
      test(qstr.toUtf8().data(), "foobar");
      return 0;
    }

• You can't pass a reference to the format for va_start(). Use 'const QString format' instead of 'const QString& format'.

• @KeithS
    Wow, thanks. After knowing the keyword I finally found the explanation and it completely makes sense. I'm now just wondering why it worked perfectly fine under x64, and not even by accident because this is a log function of our framework so it's used all over the place.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.