How could I check whether device is online using Qt?

• Is there any effective way to check whether a certain device is online, the device may vary from desktop to mobile devices.
    By the way, I used QNetworkConfigurationManager::isOnline( ) to do this task, but unfortunately, when I closed my desktop connection ( Ubuntu 15.04 Enable network unchecked ), this function returned true as always, I bet because there was a lo ( loopback ) adapter is always active within my desktop, so it always returned true.

• Hi,

QNetworkConfigurationManager manages your configuration not the remote one.
    To detect if a device (network interface) is online you could use a ping message

• @mcosta Do I have to try to ping some site in order to get to know whether my device could get access to internet, right?

• Will the devices also run a Qt app? If so, you could make the devices emit a heartbeat to indicate them being online.

• @TheHawk Thanks, that's a way being able to keep alive when long connection is needed. There are several articles talking about TCP/IP heart beat, Do I need to do it myself, or there are existing heart beat API available?

• I woulden't know actually. I think there will be one but why not make it yourself? It's not really complicated.

The slaves emit a certain data string to the master indicating them being alive once every 5 minutes for instance. The master keeps track of the slaves and knows when it doesn't receive anything from a slave after 5 mins its offline and perhaps could try to request its status in case the packet got lost or something similar.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.