[SOLVED] Attach console to GUI application on Windows

• I was looking at this article:
    https://justcheckingonall.wordpress.com/2008/08/29/console-window-win32-app/
    which explains how to attach a console to a Win32/GUI application.

I was wondering if there was a more Qt-like way of doing this? I would love a console in debug mode. Also, if the console was interactive (like, I could type commands while the GUI is still running) it would be awesome; but I doubt this is possible...

EDIT
    As an alternative solution, would it be possible to use some GUI widgets from Qt to actually run console commands just like I would do from the Windows console (cmd.exe) ?

• If you want console just to display output in debug configuration you can simply specify that application is in the console application.
    http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qmake-common-projects.html

• The console CONFIG option does not do the trick. It all depends on whether you're creating a QCoreApplication or QApplication to create console or GUI -based applications; but not both at the same time.

• previous reply text removed as it's useless, read next

Re-EDIT
    The solution was far simpler than I thought... AllocConsole() creates a new console; AttachConsole() will link the new console to the application; then it's just a matter of redirecting I/O to the new console by reopening the std streams...

#include <QApplication>
    #include <QWidget>

#define DEBUG

#ifdef DEBUG
        #include <windows.h>
        #include <stdio.h>
    #endif

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
    #ifdef DEBUG
        // detach from the current console window
        // if launched from a console window, that will still run waiting for the new console (below) to close
        // it is useful to detach from Qt Creator's <Application output> panel
        FreeConsole();

// create a separate new console window
        AllocConsole();

// attach the new console to this application's process
        AttachConsole(GetCurrentProcessId());

// reopen the std I/O streams to redirect I/O to the new console
        freopen("CON", "w", stdout);
        freopen("CON", "w", stderr);
        freopen("CON", "r", stdin);
    #endif

puts("creating QApplication");
        QApplication app(argc, argv);

puts("creating QWidget");
        QWidget w;
        puts("showing widget");
        w.show();
        puts("type something:");
        getchar();
        w.resize(320, 240);
        puts("yeeeey! It works!");

app.exec();

return 0;
    }

Wherever the application is launched from now it will open it's own console window and use that for I/O. Please note that this is the naive way, I didn't make checks for possible failures, so you should add them for a fail-safe application.
    So that's it, sorry for opening a thread and eventually answering the quesiton myself. I hope it'll be useful to others as well ;)

• @T3STY said:

freopen("CON", "w", stdout);
    freopen("CON", "w", stderr);
    freopen("CON", "r", stdin);

Thanks for this! I'd been trying to do this the 'Windows way' and never actually seeing the output - but replacing my _open_osfhandle approach with the simple one above fixed it for me. Lifesaver! Cheers.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.