QString crash when moving across a plugin boundary

• Recently I noticed the following:

• In my application there is a 'core' bit, which has a certain function that accepts a const QString&, say f(const QString&) (it's actually a function that will popup a QFileDialog and the string is the caption)
    • The application loads plugins, and the plugins get access to this function f
    • Recently I was calling this function from within the plugin, without explicitly typing a QString, so I was calling f("File Dialog Caption") - in other words, I tried relying on implicit construction
    • This caused a crash in the core part, where, as far as I could tell, the internal data of the QString object was pointing to NULL
    • Then I changed the call by explicitly calling the QString constructor: f(QString("File Dialog Caption")), which resolved this crash

I'm (almost) sure this has something to do with the magic that happens when moving across dynamic libraries (this is on Windows, but I read that similar problems occur on *nix)

So, can someone explain (or refer to some clear explanation) about this magic? I have been googling quite a bit, but I find it hard to get details about what is happening. Then the obvious next question is, what is the connection with QString?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.