Filter characters from a string

• Hello !

I am working on a client app that communicates with a device via ethernet over TCP.
    I send it a string command and i get back a string response.

Among the commands and answers, there are control characters and meta-codes. Those are the ASCII characters between 0x60 and 0x7f.

How can i chop every character within this range from my response string ?

thanks a lot.

• Moderators

@Marty said:

Among the commands and answers, there are control characters and meta-codes. Those are the ASCII characters between 0x60 and 0x7f.

How can i chop every character within this range from my response string ?

Brute force can help there. Since you know the ASCII range to exclude you can simply do it with an if statement. Also the good old C routines might help isalpha and fellows.

Alternative for more sophisticated stuff there is QRegExp or the newer version QRegularExpression.

• hum... i imagined there was an easier way to achieve this, like removing a bunch of character at once
    but thanks ! i will have a look

• Moderators

Regular expression would be the right choice then. However, you need to be prepared that there is certainly a learning curve.

• yes, this seems a good way to go.
    now all i see is filtering by matching a pattern
    i don't have any fixed pattern, i would like to remove characters wherever they appear in the string

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.