[solved] How to properly delete a QLayoutItem from the layout

• Hi there!
    I'm trying to delete a Widget out of a layout. The widget can be at an arbitrary (but existing) position and lower items have to move up to close the gap. layout_m is of type QLayout,. Here's my delete member function:
    if(index >= layout_m->count() || index < 0) return;
    QLayoutItem* toDelete = layout_m->takeAt(index);
    if(toDelete != 0){
    toDelete->widget()->setParent(NULL);
    delete toDelete;
    requestedCount_m--;
    }
    This code is inspired from the QLayout documentation's description how to properly delete all contents of a layout. However, as you see, I use toDelete->widget()->setParent(NULL); to break ownership to the QLayoutItem. If I don't do that, the deleted item is still displayed in the parent widget, but not in the layout.
    I conclude that my way to remove an item from a layout is unproper. How should I do that in a clean way?
    Cheers,
    Kalsan

• @kalsan As far as I know, QLayout::takeAt() doesn't remove the widget of the QLayoutItem from its parent widget.

So I think your code is ok. Anyway, take a look at QLayout::removeWidget. I don't know all your code, but maybe you should remove the widget from the layout using that method.

• I just call:

widgetToRemoveFromLayout.close();
    delete widgetToRemoveFromLayout;

everything else does the layout on its own.

• @msue Right then :)

• Yay, that's what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.