problems with Qt::QueuedConnection

• Hi,
    I am pretty sure it is an easy error or a general misunderstanding but I don't see it so I am posting here.

I have a MainWindow class which holds a Sync object and a Logger object.

After a action is triggered a function in the mainwindow starts a function from the sync object in another thread. (std::thread).
    e.g.: std::thread a(&Sync::startSyncProcess,sync_.get());
    The thread is immediately detached.

The sync Objects holds a pointer to a log object which holds pointers to all objects that needs information about the sync process.
    The "Logger" is a QObject with a Q_Object macro.
    The sync objects calls a Logger::report(int step) function which emits a Logger::report_progress_to_mwnd(step) function.

In the Constructor of the Logger I made a Qt::QueuedConnection between the Logger::report and Logger::reports_progress_to_mwnd function.

Here is the basic code:

class Logger : public QObject
    {
    	Q_OBJECT
    public:
    	Logger(QProgressBar * mwpb) : mw_pb_(mwpb)
    	{
    		QObject::connect(this, SIGNAL(report(int)), this, SLOT(report_progress_to_mwnd(int)), Qt::QueuedConnection);
    	}
    	void report(int step){ 
    		emit(report_progress_to_mwnd(step)); 
    	}
    	void report_progress_to_mwnd(int steps)
    	{
    		mw_pb_->setMinimum(0);
    		mw_pb_->setMaximum(5);
    		mw_pb_->setValue(steps);
    	}
    };

I thought that the report_progress_to_mwnd(int steps); function would be emited in the Thread of the MainWindow but it is still executed in the thread that I launched from the MainWindow. What do I oversee?

Please do not recommend to change std::thread with QThread I need a solution with std::threads.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Revi

• Moderators

Hi, welcome to devnet.

That's not how you define signals and slots and emitting a slot makes no sense.

class Logger : public QObject
    {
       Q_OBJECT
    public:
       Logger(QProgressBar * mwpb) : mw_pb_(mwpb) {
           connect(this, SIGNAL(reported(int)), this, SLOT(report_progress_to_mwnd(int)), Qt::QueuedConnection);
       }
       void report(int step) {
          emit reported(step); //you emit a signal, not a slot
       }

signals:
       void reported(int); //you don't implement signals. they are generated by moc

public slots:
       void report_progress_to_mwnd(int steps) {
          mw_pb_->setMinimum(0);
          mw_pb_->setMaximum(5);
          mw_pb_->setValue(steps);
       }
    };

Now calling a report method will emit signal reportedand that in turn will schedule the connected report_progress_to_mwnd slot to execute.

Btw. Please use ``` at the beginning and end of code blocks to enable code highlighter.

• Thank you very much for the clarification that solved my problem.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.