[Solved] Qt Ressource from ABOVE directory

• Hi everyone, nice appearance of the new system, I need some time to get to know the new structure though. ;)

Nevertheless, questions about Qt still remain... In my application I need to use ressources. I have boiled down the problem a little bit and came to this: I use an icon from a directory that is child to the application's source directory. I have added it using the Qt Creator 3.1.1 to the "Ressourcendateien" .qrc file. When I look into the physical file it reports - among others - it like this: "<file>ServiceTools_Shared_QT/Standard/SennLogo.ico</file>" which is fine. The path I use to access the ressource in my program reads ":ServiceTools_Shared_QT/Standard/SennLogo.ico", seems to fit and everything works fine.

However, due to the structure of my projects, this is a shared ressource, so I would like to use it from a directory that is NOT a child to the application's source. So the new path would be "<file>../ServiceTools_Shared_QT/Standard/SennLogo.ico</file>" and the file I use to access it in my source would change to "../ServiceTools_Shared_QT/Standard/SennLogo.ico" to keep the analogy. Unfortunately - without changing anything else - the icon will not be loaded when starting the application.

Can you confirm that ressources have to be stored as a child to the application's source?
    I suppose it's correctly included by the linker(?), but can't be referred by something like ":../"?
    May there be a different way to get access to this ressource?

A share of your experiences would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Stephan

• Moderators

Resources do not have to be in a child directory.
    I don't know if it's intended or a bug but you indeed can't access these resources with a path with "..".
    What you can do though is give it an alias, e.g.:

<qresource prefix="/">
        <file alias="SennLogo.ico">../ServiceTools_Shared_QT/Standard/SennLogo.ico</file>
     </qresource>

Then you can access it by ":/SennLogo.ico". Alias can be anything. Contain a path, no extension etc. Sorta an id.

The other thing you can do is place the .qrc file along with the resources to avoid the ".." altogether. Since it's a shared resource the .qrc can be shared as well. You can have a separate, local .qrc file for resources specific to that single project.

• Hey, great, thanks for the quick answer! This works, for everyone else who will have the same issue. I didn't find it before, but after your hints I figured that one can go to the .qrc file, perform a right click on it, open in editor and assign the alias directly to the ressource.

Thanks,
    Stephan

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.