Fixed aspect ratio for a widget

• Hello,

In one of my projects, I had as a business requirement (flawed or not, this is out of scope) to have a fixed aspect ratio on my top level (and unique) widget.

Basically, user should select 4:3 or 16:9 then widget keeps aspect ratio.

I dug into QWidget documentation and code but I didn't manage to do this nor did I find any good solution.

I tried catching the resize event to hack ratio but it linked to some unsatisfactory results, I tried the setPreferedHeightForWidth, but it's well named, it works only in one way...

I finally lost faith and got rid of that requirement but now that this forum exist, does any one know a clean, good way of doing it ?

• Take a look at Qxt and in particular the "QxtLetterBoxWidget":http://libqxt.bitbucket.org/doc/tip/qxtletterboxwidget.html#details

• Moderators

Does "heightForWidth()":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qwidget.html#heightForWidth do what you need?

• @tobias
    No it does not : it fulfills only a partial use case. Depending on the actual resize (shrinking only horizontally / only vertically - growing only vertically / only horizontally), the result can produce a wrong ratio.

Sorry, for not having linked the exact name, setPreferedHeightForWidth was what my mind remembered of height for width....

I'll try to make an example.

• Moderators

You will of course also need to set height for width in the size polizy, true. I have never tried it, not being the UI kind of guy, but I am pretty sure that should work.

• Easy enough, just try to compile that

@
    #include <QWidget>
    #include <QApplication>
    #include <QSizePolicy>

class MyWidget:public QWidget
    {
    public:
      MyWidget():QWidget(){};
      ~MyWidget(){};
      virtual int heightForWidth ( int w ) const { return w*9/16;};
    };

int main (int argv, char** argc)
    {
      QApplication a(argv,argc);
      MyWidget w;
      QSizePolicy qsp(QSizePolicy::Preferred,QSizePolicy::Preferred);
      qsp.setHeightForWidth(true);
      w.setSizePolicy(qsp);
      w.show();

a.exec(&#41;;
    }

@
    and resize the windows : it doesn't care about aspect ratio at all...

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.