Generic-highlighter: how to switch/reset it to a different configuration

• I am trying to take advantage of good QT Creator's editor for working on PHP/HTML files. There is a pretty good documentation on how generic-highlighter works, see, for example, http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtcreator-2.3/creator-highlighting.html, but somehow I could not find a way to switch from one highlighter to another, once one was assigned, and how to figure out which exactly highlighter is in use for a particular file. Specifically, I have good and helpful highlighting for *.js files, but I keep failing to make highlighter work for *.php files. I found/downloaded, per instructions mentioned above, a few files, which seems to be relevant:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\QtProject\qtcreator\generic-highlighter\html-php.xml and php.xml

Both of them list *.php extension inside the <language> tag. How do I check which one is in use? Or maybe none of them, since I do not get any highlighting at all? Then why? How do I make a specific xml highlighter configuration file to be used over the other file? It must have something to do with MIME types in Options->Environment, but all changes I tried did not work for me.

In the beginning, QT Creator warned me that highlighter is not determined and I downloaded PHP/HTML, etc., then QT Creator stopped complaining, but highlighting did not appear. If I could make it ask again, then I could play with different xml files to find out what is needed, but I could not figure out a way to reset it, so that it would start asking again.

Does anyone know a location of more extensive documentation, which would explain all those details at length?

Thank you very much in advance for any hint of help.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.