[solved]segfault: QTableWidgetItem->setText

• I've read that segfaults are usually caused by trying to use inaccessible memory. So, if I'm getting a segfault from trying to manipulate a table widget item, it's probably because the item I'm trying to access doesn't exist.

I'm using a qtablewidget with one row to simulate a Turing machine's input tape.
    @
    void MainWindow::goForth()
    {

//code that isn't part of the problem
    //I fetch the widget's current cell to get the symbol that's in it

move=shifts.indexOf(triplet.at(2)) - 1;   //this decideswether I'll move on the "tape" left, right, or not at all.
            index=ui->tableWidget_2->currentIndex();
            tapeCell=index.column();   
            tapeCell+=move;      //this helps me get the index of the next cell I should move to

if(tapeCell >  ui->tableWidget_2->columnCount())  //this is the problematic one
            {
                ui->tableWidget_2->insertColumn(ui->tableWidget_2->columnCount()-1);
                QTableWidgetItem *item = new QTableWidgetItem();
                item->setTextAlignment(Qt::AlignCenter);
                QFont *font = new QFont();
                font->setPointSize(30);         //if I should move to a cell that's beyond the right edge of the tape, 
                item->setFont(*font);             //I oughtta create more tape, and that's what I'm trying to do here. 
                item->setText(triplet.at(1));    //insert a column, put a new item there and set it.
                ui->tableWidget_2->setItem(0, tapeCell, item);
                ui->tableWidget_2->setCurrentCell(0, tapeCell);
            }else
                if(tapeCell<0)
                {
                    ui->tableWidget_2->insertColumn(0);
                    QTableWidgetItem *item = new QTableWidgetItem();
                    item->setTextAlignment(Qt::AlignCenter);
                    QFont *font = new QFont();
                    font->setPointSize(30);                              //now, with this, I don't have a problem. It's exactly the
                    item->setFont(*font);                                //same as the problem code, except here I'm setting the 
                    item->setText(triplet.at(1));                    // cell using 0, not an int variable.
                    ui->tableWidget_2->setItem(0, 0, item);
                    ui->tableWidget_2->item(0, 0)->setText(triplet.at(1));
                    ui->tableWidget_2->setCurrentCell(0,0);
                }else
                {
            ui->tableWidget_2->item(0, tapeCell)->setText(triplet.at(1));  //when it throws the segfault, this line is 
            ui->tableWidget_2->setCurrentCell(0, tapeCell);    //where it points me to, even though this line shouldn't 

} //be executed because tapeCell is greater than columncount

stepCount++;
            quintuplet=QString("%1. takt: %2, %3 --&gt; %4").arg(stepCount).arg(cState).arg(cSymbol).arg(triplet.join(", "));
            ui->listWidget->addItem(quintuplet);
        }
    }

}
    @

I checked the brackets, they're all fine, the if clause is how it should be, I'm setting items left and right... what's wrong?

EDIT: nevermind, figured it out after a nap XD I messed up the setting of the current index that occurs whenever I'm near the edge of the tape.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.