Phonon error on Linux

• I've been trying to get PyQt4 to work with Linux (specifically Ubuntu 14.04). I have one copy of Ubuntu running in a virtual machine and another on a laptop. I've had two separate problems.

Problem 1:

The copy of PyQt4 on the laptop can't use Phonon at all. Just running
    @from PyQt4.phonon import Phonon@
    generates ImportError: "No module named phonon"

And after much searching I'm not sure how to fix this. Maybe by installing some other kind of Phonon backend and adding it to PYTHONPATH or something?

Problem 2:

Strangely, the virtual machine copy of PyQt4 (installed using the exact same procedure, but with a slightly older version of Ubuntu, 13.10) behaves differently. On the virtual machine, I can import Phonon fine, but I trying to build the program into an executable via cx_Freeze gives this error:

ImportError: No module named 'PyQt4.uic.port_v3.proxy_base'

Supposedly this is fixable by forcing cx_Freeze to include 'sip' in the build, but that doesn't work.

Maybe this is related: I did get this error when running "make install" on PyQt4 but apparently that's normal:
    strip:home/USERNAME/.pyenv/versions/2.7.8/bin/pyuic4: File format not recognized

A note on my PyQt4 installation: I've installed the default SIP and PyQt4 by downloading the tar files, extracting them, and configuring and making and installing them. I have added PyQt to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Any advice on solving either or both of these two problems would be appreciated.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.