Calling Component destroy with a Menu open crashes app on Mac only (even if Menu is dismissed explicitly)

• Hi,

I recreated my issue on a sample app. I need to add several clickable components to a Rectangle, which all show Menu items on clicks. But some times, I need to remove everything from the UI.

1. If I "destroy" the component while one of the components inside the Rectangle has the menu popped visible, the app crashes <-- this itself is probably a bug

2. I fixed this on Windows by explicitly closing/dismissing the Menu before deleting the component. But it still crashes on Mac

3. Destroying the components separately didn't make any difference either.

Here are my two QML files:

main.qml

@import QtQuick 2.2
    import QtQuick.Controls 1.1

ApplicationWindow {
    visible: true
    width: 600
    height: 600

Rectangle {
        id: rootRectangle

property Rectangle contentRectangle: null   // this is the Rectangle which will have all the "ClickableRect.qml" components added dynamically
        property Menu lastMenuHandle: null          // this will be set whenever the Menu with ClickableRect is invoked

Button {
            id: button
            anchors.top: parent.top
            text: "Create Menu components"

onClicked: {
                rootRectangle.addClickableRects();
            } // onClicked
        } // Button
        Label {
            anchors.top : button.bottom
            text: "After creating the components, click one of them to pop up the menu, to recreate the crash.\nLeave the menu open for 5 seconds. App will try to remove the components from the UI"
        }

Timer {
            id: uiClearTimer
            interval: 5000          // have to click the red component before this 5 seconds, just to create this edge case
            onTriggered: {
                console.log("uiClearTimer - onTriggered");
                if (rootRectangle.contentRectangle !== null ) {

if ( rootRectangle.lastMenuHandle !== null && rootRectangle.lastMenuHandle.__popupVisible ) {
                        console.log ("Menu found open before destroying the component - closing it first");
                        rootRectangle.lastMenuHandle.__dismissMenu();
                        //rootRectangle.lastMenuHandle.__closeMenu(); // <-- close menu didn't make any difference
                    }

// NOTE: The following destroy calls go through (i.e prints out) but it crashes, if anyone of them had the menu opened
                    var i = 0;
                    var currChild;
                    for (i=0; i<rootRectangle.contentRectangle.children.length; i++) {
                        console.log("Destroying child component #" + i);
                        currChild = rootRectangle.contentRectangle.children[i];
                        currChild.destroy();
                    }

console.log("Destroying content rectangle");
                    // NOTE: Even if the containing rectangle isn't destroyed specifically, the child destroy calls are enough to crash the app
                    rootRectangle.contentRectangle.destroy(); // <-- this function crashes the app on MAC only, if ONE of the ClickableRect component within it has the menu already opened.

rootRectangle.contentRectangle = null;
                }
            }
        }

function addClickableRects() {
            // first create the Rectangle
            if (rootRectangle.contentRectangle === null ) {

rootRectangle.contentRectangle = Qt.createQmlObject("import QtQuick 2.0; Rectangle{anchors.fill: parent; color:\"yellow\"; border.width: 10 }", rootRectangle);
                if (rootRectangle.contentRectangle === null ) {
                    console.log(" ERROR - couldn't create contentRectangle");
                    return;
                }
                // Now loop and add 5 "ClickableRect.qml" component to rootRectangle.contentRectangle
                var i;
                for (i=0; i<5; i++ ) {
                    var clickableComp = Qt.createComponent("ClickableRect.qml");

if (clickableComp.status === Component.Ready) {
                        var clickableObject = clickableComp.createObject(rootRectangle.contentRectangle, {"x":i*60, "y":100, "parentRect":rootRectangle});
                    } else {
                        console.log(" ERROR - couldn't create object");
                        return;
                    } // else
                } // for
            } else {
                console.log(" ERROR - components are already created");
            }

uiClearTimer.restart();
        } // addComponents

} // rootRectangle

}
    @

ClickableRect.qml

@import QtQuick 2.0
    import QtQuick.Controls 1.1

Rectangle {

property Rectangle parentRect: null // this will be passed as an arg when component is being created. So that the menu handle be set properly
    // expose the menuHandle so that it can be closed from main.qml
    //property Menu menuHandle: functionMenu

color: "red"
    width: 50
    height: 50
    border.width: 10

MouseArea {
        anchors.fill: parent
        onClicked: {
            // just pop open the menu
            functionMenu.popup();
        }
    }

Menu {
        id: functionMenu
        MenuItem {
            text: "Function 1"
        }

on__PopupVisibleChanged: {
            if ( __popupVisible) {
                // update the handle to the tabView so that it is closed if the tabView removes these PaletteItem ui objects
                parentRect.lastMenuHandle = functionMenu;
            }
        } // on__popupVisibleChanged
    }

}
    @

The fact that workaround is fine on Windows but not on Mac, makes me guess that this is probably a bug. But I'm hoping that there is some sort of work around for the time being. Any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.