[Solved] Why there is no toTitleCase for QString

• Hi Everyone!
    I would like to reformat the case of some text which I recieve at an undetermined format. For Example:

• illUm QUI dOLOrEm eum ASPeriores REPELLAT

I have searched for the commonly know function toTitleCase in the Qt database and "found QChar":http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qchar.html#toTitleCase to have this function. In the description of the function:
    [quote]QChar QChar::toTitleCase () const
    Returns the title case equivalent if the character is lowercase or uppercase; otherwise returns the character itself. [/quote]

• I don't quite understand what this does, or how it should be used.
      ** if you look at a single character alone how will it know if it needs to be titleCased or not?
    • Is there a function under another name which does the same ?
      ** I'm Looking For A Basic Caps Letter At The Begining Of Each Word In The String.

I was thinking of making a simple algorithm myself to get this done, but if the function already exists then I don't need to reinvent the wheel. :)

Proposed Algorithm:
    @
    QString str = "illUm QUI dOLOrEm eum ASPeriores REPELLAT";
    QRegExp re("\W\w");
    int pos=-1;
    str = str.toLower();
    QChar * base = str.data();
    QChar * ch;
    do{
    pos++;
    ch = base + pos;
    pos = str.indexOf(re, pos);
    *ch = ch->toUpper();
    }while(pos >= 0);
    @

Thanks for any constructive criticism / comments / suggestions / contributions, and a great weekend to everyone!

Edit: Code Error, and better Regular Expression added

• Moderators

This is part of what the "unicode standard":http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0/ch05.pdf#G21180 has to say about titlecase:

bq. digraph compatibility characters, such as U+01F3 “dz” latin small letter dz, require one form when being uppercased, U+01F1 “DZ” latin capital letter dz, and another form when being titlecased, U+01F2 “Dz” latin capital letter d with small letter z. The latter form is informally referred to as a titlecase character, because it is mixed case, with the first letter uppercase.

• Aha!
    Now I understand what TitleCase refers to, thanks for that reference.

Having read a bit now on how complex an actual proper title casing function would be I see why QString does not incorporate it.

A solution, for someone who would need proper title casing (not my case), would be adding a style and grammar check library.

• [quote author="Pau" date="1301255549"]Aha!
    Now I understand what TitleCase refers to, thanks for that reference.

Having read a bit now on how complex an actual proper title casing function would be I see why QString does not incorporate it.

A solution, for someone who would need proper title casing (not my case), would be adding a style and grammar check library.
    [/quote]

And of course you would have to adapt it to the localization and internationalization settings to respect the different title casing in different languages.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.