Saving Qt application data to a Custom Binary format.

• Hi,
    I am working on an application that does a lot of drawing and multimedia manipulation .I want to be able to save my data ( images /videos/..) in one file with our custom format ( .fmt for example) .I know QDataStream can write to a file but how can I have Images and Videos encapsulated within my binary file so that when a user saves the data he can later open and play it.Is there a possible way to do this?

My search so far has pointed me to different ways to serialize data but I haven't seen anything that shows how to serialize multimedia.Am I approaching this the wrong way ?Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• It's easy to do. I have used this approach to write data to mifare cards.
    You should create a header, similar to a ini file or http header. In this header you can list all the file names with size. For example

filename0=a.txt
    filesize0=123
    filename1=b.jpg
    filesize1=12345

After that you should write the header, a empy row, and the all files.

• Thanks for the reply mrdebug,
    I don't quite get how your method here works though,how does the header encapsulate my videos and images is not clear yet.Can you explain more or point to a detailed resource to learn about that?

Thanks.

• For example if you have to write in one container file two files, file01.mpg, size 100 bytes, and file02.bmp size 200 bytes, you fill create a file with header + empy row, file01 and file 02. Total size is header size + empy row+ file01 size+ file02 size.
    If you have to modify one file for example file01 you have to rewrite all.

what are you working on?

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.