Add a really huge widget to a QScrollArea

• I'm trying to implement a hex viewer using QT. I wrote a custom control, extending the class QWidget, without scrolling support, and embedded it into a QScrollArea. When my control displays a small file, everything goes just fine including scrolling. If i try to open a file 3GB big, it still displays the control, but the scrollbars do not appear. Do anyone have any tips for this problem?

Thanks.

• There are maximum sizes you can use for windows and widgets. You seem to be bouncing into them.
    I think you need to start to think about a way to render only the part of the view you actually need. Instead of sizing your widget to span the whole file, create a widget that only draws the part of the file that is currently in the viewport.

• Well, i already optimized the render routine to render only the portion given by event->rect(). Is it better if i add the scrollbars and do all the offsetting in the paint routine itself? And therefore delete the QScrollArea?

• You can base your widget of QAbstractScrollArea. That class provides you with the framework of a scrollable area. You can use the scroll bars directly to calculate the offset you need.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.