Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Problem using stdout in QProcess

• I am a new in QT. need to catch the output from the process which I started.
    What I am doing wrong?

Thank you.

@ QString program = "echo";
    QStringList arguments;
    arguments << "test >/dev/stdout";

QProcess *myProcess = new QProcess(this);

myProcess->start(program, arguments);
     myProcess->setReadChannel( QProcess::StandardOutput );
     char buff[1024];

qint64 len = myProcess->readLine( buff, qint64(1024));
      int len = myProcess->readLine( buff, qint64(1024));
      printf(" buffer %s %d \n", buff, int(len));@

get nothing as result

• You don't give your process time to actually start doing something. Use the QProcess::readyRead() signal, and connect it to a slot where you do the actual reading.

• Or just waitForFinished() after start().
    Tricky part might be getting those arguments right

• [quote author="Tomma" date="1300440105"]Or just waitForFinished() after start().
    Tricky part might be getting those arguments right[/quote]
    I recommend against using the waitFor* methods in Qt if you can avoid them at all, especially if you are building GUI applications.

• [quote author="Andre" date="1300440589"]I recommend against using the waitFor* methods in Qt if you can avoid them at all, especially if you are building GUI applications.
    [/quote]

Let's say it that way:

If you are building command line apps with have to wait, waitFor* makes sense.
    If you build Gui, use signals.

• I agree with Gerolf. This way must work for you.

• Be aware that you can not use shell input/output redirection (how should it work - there is no shell involved!). So this is wrong (in the sense of it does not do what you intended):

@
    arguments << "test >/dev/stdout";
    @

• All, thank you very much. I am out of the office now, will test this soon. Sure it works.