State target: object vs type

• Hello,

I am new to QML and was going through the QT Quick introduction training about user interaction, input and states session, provided at Qt website.
    I must say it is nice set of series to introduce the QML and Qt Suite. States seems to be really powerful concept. I was wondering shouldn't it be possible to specify type in target of state rather than object?

Suppose I have 10 text fields on a dialog and I want a similar behaviour and if I specify only states targeted at each object then there will be tremendous duplication of code, instead I can specify that within this item (dialog) all items of type: textfield should be applied this state.

Thanks for your answers.

Best,
    Sarang

• I am not entirely sure I understand what you mean.

I think you could do what you want by simply creating your own type (that is, a new file), and make that item reference the parents state, for instance. Something along these lines:

@
    //file: MyTextField.qml

TextEdit {
    id: textField
    state: parent.state
    enabled: (state == "TheEnabledState")

// whaterver else you want in here
    }
    @

Or am I totally off track here?

• Hi Andre,

Many thanks for replying.
    Actually my point was:

@TextEdit {
    id: textField1

}

TextEdit {
    id: textField2

}
    @
    then I will have to create 2 states for two text fields. But If I have 10 such fields in dialog then I may need to write 10 states, if we go by objects.
    What I am asking is it possible to create 10 textfields and associate them with only one state for consistency and maintenance.

Other option may be to create a separate textfield qml file (is it called component?) and then use it.

Thanks,
    Sarang

Edit: please use @ to mark code sections; Andre

• No, the point was, that you don't need to maintain 10 states. Instead, after defining your own MyTextEdit as explained above, you can simply do:

@
    MyTextEdit {
    id: TextEdit1;
    }
    MyTextEdit {
    id: TextEdit2;
    }
    @

The state is automatically managed the same for all instances of MyTextEdit that way.

• Ok.

So the basic philosophy of Qt QML is to create lots of customized components. But then I will have to rename the files and my components accordingly so that I don't have clashes.

Is there any best practices document about this?

Thanks!
    Sarang

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.