how to make QToolButton auto pop-up menu ?

• @class QAutoShowToolBtn:public QToolButton
    {
    public:
    explicit QAutoShowToolBtn(QWidget * parent=0):QToolButton(parent)
    {
    //if()
    }
    protected://override
    virtual void enterEvent( QEvent * e )
    {
    if(menu())
    showMenu();
    QToolButton::enterEvent(e);
    }
    };@
    I override the enterEvent(..) it can pops up the menu but the difficult part is how Can i make the menu close when I mouse move to other QToolButton.

I have tried 2 ways:
    (1)override the leaveEvent( QEvent * e ) inside it I close the menu but found it's a mistake since I even cann't selelct the item in the menu.(will cause the menu prematurely close )
    (2) @ virtual void enterEvent( QEvent * e )
    {
    if(menu())
    click();
    QToolButton::enterEvent(e);
    }@
    I used click() slot to simulate the click-behavior by the user and hope it will close the previous pop up menu of the other button.
    But also failed. I don't know why the click() slot isn't consistent with the real mouse click ,we all know mouse click outside the pop up menu will close it normally.
    consequently,when I move mouse hover over 2 buttons ,both menus will appear together.

any advice? thanks in advance.

• Why not emit a signal inside the enter event say "emit popupMenu(e->globalPos())"
    Then in your mainwindow you have a slot like this

MyMainWindow::showToolbarPopupSlot(QPoint &p)
    {
    myPopupMenu->popup(p);
    }

I do this for table views anyway. Hope it is of some help

• Maybe I don't get it, but why "QToolButton::setMenu":http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qtoolbutton.html#setMenu is not sufficient ?

• Because your redefining the behavior to show on "mouseEnter", if you have your menu as defined by QToolButton cannot you just do

@virtual void enterEvent( QEvent * e )
    {
    if(menu())
    menu()->popup(e->pos // or e->globalPos() ?)
    }@

• Ok I see. Install an event filter on the menu and in the eventFilter of your class if object is the menu and event is QEvent::Leave close the menu

• That's a good problem and you idea for the eventFilter sounds sane but does not Menu have a leaveEvent() method, but that means createing your own MyMenuClass from QMenu.

How ever you get it to work, please post back, as in the future I may want such behavior in an application. Maybe others too

• QMenu is a QWidget, so it has leave event

• bq. Ok I see. Install an event filter on the menu and in the eventFilter of your class if object is the menu and event is QEvent::Leave close the menu

I have thought this method, but it's not viable!
    because while I hover on 1st QToolbutton ,then Associated menu pops up. but while I don't move the mouse to enter the menu to select 1 item but I move to the other QToolButton. then 2 menus pop up simultaneously.(more worse is the previous one is not closed normally)

• [quote author="DBoosalis" date="1403179628"]Because your redefining the behavior to show on "mouseEnter", if you have your menu as defined by QToolButton cannot you just do

@virtual void enterEvent( QEvent * e )
    {
    if(menu())
    menu()->popup(e->pos // or e->globalPos() ?)
    }@[/quote]

thanks any way.but you may don't get what I have asked.The kay point is not about the pops the menu but how can I control the menu automatic close .

Even I hover more than 1 QToolbuttons consecutively but I don't move the mouse enters the any menus pop up before.

• [quote author="jzq740176597" date="1403227276"]bq.
    I have thought this method, but it's not viable! [/quote]

Sorry for delay. Why is not viable ? I used this type of automatically show/hide menu and is viable.

[quote author="jzq740176597" date="1403227276"]bq.
    then 2 menus pop up simultaneously.(more worse is the previous one is not closed normally)[/quote]

That's why I said to install an event filter on the menu. If mouse leave the menu, hide it.

• @jzq740176597 Did you manage to get it working? I'm facing the same problem here...

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.