Important: Please read the Qt Code of Conduct - https://forum.qt.io/topic/113070/qt-code-of-conduct

Unable to load gif file in QImage

• I am using Qt 4.5 (on VS 2008) which has been built dynamically(debug and release). I have linked my app to the <QTDIR>\plugins\imageformats\qgifd4.lib.

I create a QImage from a gif file on disk. But the QImage returned is null. I logged the loading of the gif plugin using QT_DEBUG_PLUGINS flag. The gif plugin logs are as below

'MyApp.exe': Loaded 'C:\Qt\VS45\qt\plugins\imageformats\qgifd4.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'MyApp.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Qt\VS45\qt\plugins\imageformats\qgifd4.dll'

I also debugged the creation of QImage. In the function createReadHandlerHelper() the code looks like this
    QFactoryLoader *l = loader();
    QStringList keys = l->keys();

after this when the code searches for the "gif" extension in these keys nothing is found.
    Does it mean that the gif plugin is corrupt? What am I doing wrong? Please help!! I have stuck here for a long time.

• Try this:

In Qt folder go to <Qt Version Folder>\examples\widgets\imageviewer
    Try to load your gif images thru this application, if they are getting loaded then no prob with your plugin.

2nd step: Check the gif path in your application. R u loading them from resource file or thru relative path, whatever is the case but using QFileInfo class you can check if the path is valid before u pass that to QImage class.

• The imageviewer is also not able to load gif files. I am loading the files thru absolute path.

• Check gif files are ok

Try to create qrc (qt resource file) Add file into it

Then load it.

Also if possible update your version.

• I have upgraded to 4.6.3 , and now the QImage objects loads the gif file properly. But I am unable to render it in a TableView cell. I have a custom model for the view whose data function has the following pseudo code

QVariant data()
    {
    if (role== displayrole)
    return QVariant(QImage(gifFilePath));
    else
    return QVariant();
    }

• Start new thread

• After reading the documentation again, I figured out that it should be the decoration role and not the display role for the gif to render.