[Solved] Quickly test QBitArray bytes to see if all are zero

• I have a QBitArray that has a bunch of bit flags. I wonder if there is a fast way to test if all the bytes used internally in the QBitArray are zero. I can go through them one bit a time. But seems like it could be done faster if I could get at the bytes.

Thanks

• What about:
    @
    if (bitArray.count(true) == 0) { }
    @
    The way that is implemented should be much faster than a brute force iteration.

Or even this:
    @
    if (bitArray == QBitArray(bitArray.size(), false)) { }
    @
    If the bit array size is fixed then you could make the RHS a const outside the if().

• The fasted method probably would be to run a memcmp() on the constData() of the QBitArray's internal QByteArray. But that isn't exposed to the public. So you are stuck with count() which already does quite some bit magic...

http://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html#CountBitsSetParallel

• The count() function does what I needed. But still this is a not perfectly suited for what I want.

My particular need I just wanted a super fast way to see if any bits were set. I don't need to have a count, but this will work fine.

If anyone from Qt is listening, it would be nice if the QBitArray had a fast test to see if any bits were set.

• If you exclusively modify the Bit vector through QBitArray.setBit(), you could overwrite that method and update a flag of your own. You'd only need to maintain a counter of the "1" bits that is updated at each call. Then you could check for "all bits are zero" in constant time by reading the counter.

@void MyBitArray::setBit(int i, bool value)
    {
    if(testBit(i) != value)
    {
    if(value) m_oneCounter++; else m_oneCounter--;
    QBitArray::setBit(i, value)
    }
    }

bool MyBitArray::isAllZeros(void)
    {
    return (m_oneCounter == 0);
    }@

• Actually, my second option, using operator==(), will not work. It only tests that the internal pointers are the same and does not check that bits themselves.

Looks like your connection to Qt Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.